Letter from the Principal: April 17, 2017
This morning at approximately 7:20 a.m., one of our 3rd graders was walking to school and collided with a vehicle as the child crossed Valley Lodge Parkway. The student suffered some scrapes, was transported to the hospital out of caution, and fortunately was treated and released.
at crosswalks is provided beginning at 7:30 a.m. each morning. We encourage
parents to review these important safety tips with your children:
- Always stop and check for traffic in both directions when leaving your driveway, an alley, or a curb.
- Cross at intersections. When you walk out between parked cars, drivers can’t see you coming.
- If you are riding your bike, walk it across busy intersections using the crosswalk and always follow traffic signals, whether on foot or bike.
- Always walk on the sidewalk when possible.
- Make eye contact with drivers and wait for the driver to signal you to go.
- Walk to school in
groups or with parents and leave home in plenty of time; don’t rush.
addition, here are some safety tips for drivers:
- Be especially alert around children and prepared to stop at any moment.
- Always use turn signals.
- When opening doors on a street where children may be present, look over your shoulder before you open the door to make sure no cyclists are riding up your side.
- Follow the speed limit. School zone speed limits are purposefully set low because children are unpredictable.
- Come to a complete stop at intersections with stop signs.
- Always stop for loading or unloading school buses. Driving around stopped school buses is against the law.
- Plan ahead. Leave
early for your destination and build in extra time for congestion, especially
around schools during arrival and dismissal times.
community cares about our kids and their safety and we hope these tips are
Kathy Shealy, Principal
Atascocita Springs Elementary