Criminals gain access to personal data such as names, Social Security numbers, and bank and credit card information. Using the stolen data, the criminal can fraudulently obtain credit cards, establish cellular phone accounts, and more.
Reduce Your Risk When Applying for Aid
- Apply for federal student aid by filling out the FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov.
- After completing the FAFSA online, exit the application and close the browser; any cookies created during your session will be deleted automatically.
- Don't tell anyone your Federal Student Aid PIN, even if that person is helping you fill out the FAFSA.
- Review your financial aid award documents and keep track of the amounts applied for and awarded.
- Never give personal information over the phone or Internet unless you made the contact. If you have questions about a solicitation or about your student loan account, call 1-800-4-FED-AID.
- Shred receipts and documents with personal information if they are no longer needed.
- Immediately report all lost or stolen identification to the issuer and to the police, if appropriate.