Upcoming Flood Bond Issue and Series of 23 Community Meetings
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 31, 2018
Contact: Jessica Beemer (832) 393-3008
Judge Ed Emmett, Flood Control Officials Announce Details of Upcoming Flood Bond Issue and Series of 23 Community Meetings
Houston, TX - Council Member Dave Martin would like to make residents aware of the upcoming opportunity to provide public input to Harris County Flood Control District (HCFCD), in preparation of the Harris County 2018 bond election. "Harris County has begun scheduling a series of 23 community engagement meetings next month to solicit public input on an expected $2.5 billion bond issue that would help reduce much of the catastrophic flooding that has struck the area in recent years", Harris County Judge Ed Emmett said Wednesday.
Officials with the Harris County Flood Control District are scheduling public meetings in each of the county's 23 watersheds to describe some of the projects the county is proposing and to solicit residents' input on which projects should be included. Flood Control officials also have created an interactive website detailing the status of more than 150 proposed and current projects throughout the county.
Emmett joined Flood Control District Executive Director Ross Poppe in announcing the initiatives during a Wednesday afternoon news conference at TranStar. Poppe laid out opportunities for a series of channel improvements and repairs, floodplain buyouts, and creation of greenspace and detention basins throughout the entire county. Some of these projects have been in the works for several years, but have been stalled by a lack of money.
The initial list of potential projects and detail about the upcoming community engagement meetings can be found as they become available through Friday, June 8, on a dedicated portion of the Flood Control website at www.hcfcd.org/bondprogram.
Of the five watersheds within District E, three community meetings have been scheduled.
- Sims Bayou Watershed: Tuesday, June 5, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at the Hiram Clarke Multi-Service Center, 3810 West Fuqua Street, Houston, Texas, 77045.
- Armand Bayou Watershed: Thursday, June 7, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at the Bay Area Community Center, 5002 East Nasa Parkway, Seabrook, Texas, 77586.
- Greens Bayou Watershed: Saturday, June 16, 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., at the Magnum-Howell Center, 2500 Frick Road, Houston, Texas, 77038.
- New Date! San Jacinto River Watershed: Tuesday, July 10, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at Kingwood Community Center, 4102 Rustic Woods, Kingwood, Texas, 77345.
- Clear Creek Watershed: Tuesday, July 17, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at El Franco Lee Community Center, 9500 Hall Road,Houston, TX 77089.
Residents of the Clear Creek and Greens Bayou Watershed, please continue to check HCFCD's website for updates on scheduled meetings within your watershed. If you are unsure which watershed you reside in, please visit the interactive map. The meetings will conclude August 1, allowing time for county officials to finalize the bond package for voters.
Harris County Commissioners Court is expected to vote June 12 to place a $2.5 billion flood bond issue on the August 25 ballot. If approved, issuance of bonds would be spread over 15 years, and the expected Flood Control tax increase for most homeowners would be limited to 1.4 percent or less.
For more information, please contact Harris County Flood Control District Bond Program Hotline at 713-684-4107.