- News Releases
- Hurricane Harvey
- Inspiring Moments
- Spotlight on Sports
- Keep Up With Changing Weather
- Parent Letters
- Stranger Danger
Humble ISD celebrates receiving a state historical marker
Dr. Robert Meaux, author of Humble (Images of America), is joined by Humble City Council Member Norman Funderburk to celebrate Humble ISD receiving a state historical marker at the regularly scheduled Board Meeting on April 10. Pictured from left are School Board President Angela Conrad, Humble City Councilman Norman Funderburk, author Dr. Robert Meaux, and Superintendent Dr. Elizabeth Fagen.
Humble ISD was awarded a Texas Historical Marker, in honor of the district’s founding 100 years ago. The district celebrated receiving a Texas historical marker from the Texas Historical Commission at the monthly school board meeting, on April 10.
Humble Independent School District became an official school district comprised of five schools in 1919. Due to growth in Humble, Kingwood, Atascocita, Fall Creek, Eagle Springs, Summerwood, and other surrounding communities, Humble ISD is now home to 43 campuses and is still growing.
The City of Humble has approved for the Humble ISD historical marker to be placed at the original site of Charles Bender High School. The old Bender High School served as the Humble ISD District Administration Building from 1974-1992, and as the Curriculum and Staff Development Center from 1992 to 2003. After sitting vacant for several years, the building was renovated in 2014 and opened as the Charles Bender Performing Arts Center in 2015. A dedication ceremony for the Humble ISD historical marker will be scheduled during the 2018-2019 school year.
Humble ISD has a rich history and continues to provide a quality education for all students. In preparation for Humble ISD’s Centennial Celebration, the district has launched a website dedicated to 100 Years of Excellence in Humble ISD. To learn more about the history of Humble ISD please visit, www.humbleisd.net/history.
Charles Bender High School opened in 1930 and served as the district's only high school until Humble High School opened on Wilson Road in 1965.