History of Humble ISD
- Early Residents
- Growth of the Community
- Harris County Common School Districts
- Two School Districts
- Humble Oil Boom
- Growth of the Districts
- Consolidation and Independence
- Surviving the Next Few Decades
- The 1950s and Beyond
- Current Humble ISD Schools
- School Board Trustees (1909-present)
- Superintendents of the Humble Schools (1909-present)
The Humble area was originally part of Austin's Colony, established in the 1820s. The earliest land grant in the area was given to David Harris in 1824, a member of Austin's colony. Harris's land was on the east side of the district, where the McKay Bridge now crosses Lake Houston. One of the earliest settlers in this area was Joseph Dunman, another member of Austin's Colony. Dunman was the rider who carried Col. William Travis's letter (a plea for reinforcements) from the Alamo to the town Liberty in early 1836. After Texas gained independence from Mexico, Dunman was awarded with a land grant in Harris County. For his land, Dunman chose a place at the West Fork of the San Jacinto River; on the north side of present-day Humble.
Another early settler to the area was a Civil War veteran from Louisiana named Pleasant Smith Humble. Pleasant Humble purchased part of the land originally owned by Joseph Dunman, and settled near the banks of the San Jacinto River. He took over operation of a ferry that had been in operation since the 1850s, and also ran a grocery store.
Over the next few years, more families moved into this northeastern part of Harris County. In 1873, just a few years after the conclusion of the Civil War, the earliest known school in the area was opened by Joseph W. Dunman (1824-1903), son of early settler Joseph Dunman. The school was called Joe Dunman's Schoolhouse, and was used as a polling place by the local citizens. The school was located on the Atascocita Road, just north of the present-day location of River Pines Elementary School. Joe Dunman's Schoolhouse was a privately-owned school. Students at the school were children of wealthier families in the area who could afford to pay for their children to be taught reading, math and classic literature. At the time, Texas had an ineffective public education system, and most children in Texas did not receive an education.
Growth of the Community
In 1875, Paul Bremond secured a contract to build a railroad from Houston to Louisiana. As the tracks were built through the woods of East Texas, sawmills opened along the trains right-of-way. Many sawmill communities developed and thrived along the railroad....including some in the Humble area. By April of 1877, 28 miles of track of the Houston East & West Texas Railway had been laid from Houston to New Caney. As the railway neared completion, and to generate funds, Bremond ran daily entertainment excursions for the citizens of Houston. In 1878, one popular excursion ran 19 miles from Houston to San Jacinto Springs, located on the north side of the San Jacinto River near present-day Hamblen Road. At San Jacinto Springs, Bremond's company provided dancing, fishing and swimming. These excursions introduced Houston residents to the natural beauty of this part of Harris County.
In 1876, the Texas legislature passed an updated constitution which increased the availability of schooling to more children across the state. The Constitution of 1876 resulted in the creation of more school communities across Harris County (a school community is akin to a small school district). The closest school community to the Humble area was established on the west side of the railroad tracks on December 22, 1876. Harris County School Community No. 13, the Durdin School Community, had only one school, called the Higgs School. The Higgs School was located on present-day Lee Road near FM 1960. Pleasant Humble was on the school board for the Durdin School Community. Strangely, residents in the area did not organize a school community around Joe Dunman's Schoolhouse on the east side of the railroad tracks. Joe Dunman's Schoolhouse continued to operate from 1876-1883 as a private school.
The first town-like community to develop in the area centered around the Lord and Noble sawmill on the east side of the railroad tracks. By 1882, Lord, Texas was an established community, consisting of four sawmills, livestock business, and a US Post Office. The Higgs School was the closet school to this community.
A school community was finally organized on the east side of the railroad tracks in 1883, called the Dunman School Community. Joe Dunman's Schoolhouse was the only school in that school community, and it reported a student population of 13 in 1883.
Harris County Common School Districts
In 1884, Texas passed the Common School Law, which provided for a system of county schools to be established across the state. All of Harris County was divided into county school districts, each with at least one school and a local school board. The law mandated separate schools for white students and colored students. It also mandated the teaching of writing, reading in English, penmanship, arithmetic, English grammar, modern geography, composition, and other subjects. The law established a taxation system to pay for the public schools, thereby providing a free education to all students living in each district (although there were still racial issues). The Common School Law of 1884 was the beginning of the current education system still in use in Texas.Map of Harris County Common School District No. 28 in 1884.(Courtesy of Dr. Robert Meaux)
The area on the east side of the railroad tracks was established as Harris County Common School District No. 28 (Dunman's School District). The district boundary was similar to today's boundary for Humble ISD. Joe Dunman's Schoolhouse was the only school in District No. 28. By 1886, the district had opened Joe Dunman's Schoolhouse No. 2 for colored students. This was a progressive step for District No. 28, since fewer than half of the Harris County school districts offered an education to colored students. The area on the west side of the railroad tracks, where the Higgs School was located, became Common School District No. 29. In 1935, District No. 29 became the Aldine Independent School District.Lord, Texas was not able to survive as a town. In February 1886, the US Post Office at Lord was closed. Pleasant Humble took over responsibility for the mail. Local legend states that mail carriers from other towns were instructed to "deliver to Humble," meaning Pleasant Humble. Through continued use of this phrase, "Humble" eventually became the name of the town. Whether the story is true of not, when the application was made to have a US Post Office established in his town in August 1886, the official name of the town listed on the application was "Humble, Texas."
Two School Districts
As the community of Humble began to thrive around the railroad tracks, the residents wanted a school located closer to the town (Joe Dunman's Schoolhouse was located in the center of the district, far from the new community). In 1888, the residents petitioned to have District No. 28 split into two districts. The northern section remained as District No. 28 (Humble), and the southern section became a new district, District No. 35 (Dunman). Joe Dunman's Schoolhouse ended up in District No. 35, and was renamed as the Dunman's Prairie School. A new school called the West River School was built for District No. 28, on land donated by William Humble (son of Pleasant Humble). The West River School was located at the corner of Isaacks Road and Old Humble Road, where the Humble Cemetery is now located. The school for colored students was renamed to the Narrow Gauge School. In 1896, District No. 28 had a student population of 62 (27 at the West River School, 35 at the Narrow Gauge School), while District No. 35 had a student population of and 41 at the Dunman's Prairie School.West River School, 1904(Courtesy of the Humble Museum)Each district (28 and 35) had it's own 3-member school board, but starting in 1888, the school districts were also supervised by the Superintendent of Harris County Schools. Henry Ben Cline was the first county school superintendent, serving from 1888 to 1893, and then serving again from 1902 to 1904. The job of the county school superintendent was to ensure school districts hired qualified teachers, that school board members followed state and county mandates, to distribute tax-payer funds to the districts, and to ensure tax-payer funds were spent spent and accounted for properly. Other county superintendents would hold this position over the years, including B. L. James, L. L. Pugh and Joe Lyle.Map of Harris County Common School Districts No. 28 and No. 35 in 1888.(Courtesy of Dr. Robert Meaux)On November 9, 1889, the local sawmill was purchased by Charles Bender. Bender also purchased thousands of acre of timberland in the area. As a result, Bender owned nearly all of the land where the new Humble community was based. The town continued to thrive as a sawmill town. Bender made two attempts to officially establish a town. On September 21, 1903, Charles Bender laid out streets and lots and the town of Humble, Texas was officially established. However, the local residents didn't purchase the lots and support the structure of Bender's new town.Location of the West River School by the Humble Cemetery(Courtesy of Dr. Robert Meaux)In March 6, 1903, Joseph W. Dunman died. At the end of the school year, District No. 35 closed the Dunman's Prairie school (which was on Mr. Dunman's land) and built a new wooden schoolhouse, further south on Atascocita Road. It was named the Singleton School in honor of Reed Singleton, an early member of the school board and a local election judge. This school was located where the Waste Management Atascocita Landfill now stands.Charles Bender made a second attempt to establish the town in 1904. By this time, several companies were drilling wells in Humble in an attempt to discover oil there. Bender laid out a new plat for the town and filed it on late October 22, 1904. The town of Humble was now recognized as an official town within Harris County. This area is primarily where the old historic downtown Humble is still located.
The Humble Oil BoomIn November 1904, oil was discovered in Humble. This led to a drastic increase in the population of the town as oil field workers descended from across the state and the nation. The small, sleepy sawmill town of about 100 families increase to over 10,000 residents over the course of just a few weeks. The largest influx of people went to work at the Echols Ridge, the location of the successful oil wells. By 1907, the Echols Ridge was renamed as Moonshine Hill, in honor of the first company to strike oil in Humble, the Moonshine Company.Student enrollment at the West River School (District No. 28) doubled in 1904-1905, from 32 students to 68 students. A second teacher, Lillian Busch, was hired to help Mr. H. Snell teach students. In the summer of 1905, a second building was added to the West River School. The following year, 1905-1906, the students population more than tripled, up to 217 students. A third building, and another teacher, were added in 1906.The school also had a library with forty volumes.The student population at the Narrow Gauge School (District No. 28) also increased, from 26 students in 1903-1904 to 52 students in 1904-1905. After that, the student population remained more or less stable at about 50 students each year. Ida Green, Virgie Ruth Scott, and P. M. Flowers were the teachers at the Narrow Gauge school. The name of the school was eventually changed to the Pleasant Grove School.The Singleton School (District No. 35) also experienced an increase in student enrollment, from 14 students in 1904-1905 to 28 students in 1905-1906. During this time, with wealth in the town increasing, residents of both districts voted to voluntarily increase their property tax to increase the quality of the schools.All of these schools were listed as Intermediate Schools. At that time, an Intermediate School was a school that educated students in grades 1-7. Seventh grade was typically the highest grade most students would accomplish, which is the root of the popular phrase "he only has a 7th grade education." After the seventh grade, most students would end their schooling to begin jobs, help the family on the farm, etc.. Students wanting to continue into high school grades (grades 8-11) had to pass a county examination to continue their schooling.In 1909, due to overcrowding, a new school was built to replace the wooden West River School. The Humble School Board has a two-story, six-classroom schoolhouse built on Higgins Street. The county paid the estate of Charles Bender $450 for the land, and a $10,000 schoolhouse bond was passed by the citizens to pay for the building's construction. The school was called the Humble School. It housed grades 1-7, plus two years of high school study (grades 8 and 9). Daniel Henry Womack (1867-1957) was hired as the district's first Superintendent, and also served as Principal of the Humble School. Humble petitioned to have their school listed as a county high school, which would allow it to offer a full 4-year high school course of study to students in District No. 28, as well as students in neighboring districts. The petition was granted, and grades 10 and 11 were added in 1911 (12th grade would not be added to the Texas school curriculum until 1941). The first students to graduate high school in Humble were twins, Edith and Ethel Inmann in May 1911. The old buildings of the West River Schools were sold, and the land was eventually sold to the Humble Cemetery Association, who used it to expand the cemetery.The Humble School on Higgins Street 1909(Courtesy of the Humble Museum)A new school was also built in 1909 to replace the Narrow Gauge School for colored students. Land was purchased on the west side of the town, just over the railroad tracks for the school. The school was never given an official name, but was simply known as the Colored School. All African-American students in the district attended this school up through 1947, when the school burned down. After the school burned, all colored student were transferred next door to Aldine ISD, where a new school would eventually be built in Bordersville.Location of the Colored School 1909-1947(Courtesy of Dr. Robert Meaux)District No. 35 also built a new school at Moonshine Hill in 1909. The land was donated by the Producers Oil Company in the Moonshine Heights area. A two-room wooden schoolhouse was built, and called the Woodward School. A dispute erupted between the two school districts almost immediately over the location of the school. District No. 28 contended that the school had been built within their attendance zone. The question was finally settled by the Harris County Commissioners Court in 1914. They determined that the Woodward School was built within the boundary of District No. 28. The commissioner's court gave the school to District No. 28, including the students and the teachers.John Franklin Crawford was hired as District No. 28's second superintendent starting in 1911. Crawford was instrumental in the growth of the district over the next 8 years. He also served as Principal of the Humble School from 1911 to 1914. In 1915, continued increases in enrollment caused overcrowding at the Humble School. The citizens passed a $10,000 schoolhouse bond to expand to the school to more than twice it's original size. 1915 was also the first year that Texas initiated compulsory attendance for all students in the State.The Renovated Humble School 1919(Courtesy of the Humble Museum)In 1917, District No. 28 began work on construction of a new school. The district passed a $37,000 schoolhouse bond and hired architect Oscar F. Holcombe to build a new high school building, and also for a new masonry building to replace the wooden Woodward School (a few years alter, Oscar Holcombe quit his construction business and becomes mayor of Houston). The new high school opened in the Fall of 1918, and was called Humble High School. It was built on the lot next to the Humble School (renamed in 1918 as the Humble Grammar School). Sometime in 1923 the street between the two schools was filled in and it became a single, two-block lot of land. The district would retain ownership of this land until 2011. Humble High School opened on Higgins Street in September of 1918 with Ms. Frances R. Hyde as the first principal. The building had an auditorium, a superintendent's office, a principal's office, and a home economics room. "Impossible is Un-American" became the motto of the school, and was printed on every page of the 1918-1919 yearbook.Humble High School on Higgins Street 1921(Courtesy of the Humble Museum)Humble High School Auditorium 1919(Courtesy of the Humble Museum)Impossible is Un-American" was the school motto of Humble High School in 1919.(Courtesy of Dr. Robert Meaux)By 1917, it was clear that District No. 35 was not going to survive due to low enrollment. The Harris County Superintendent of Schools worked on a plan to combine District No. 35 with District No. 28. At the same time, the County Superintendent worked out funding to build a new brick Singleton school for District No. 35.The Hill School (aka The Woodward School) at Moonshine Hill 1918(Courtesy of the Humble Museum)
In the summer of 1918, District No. 35 and District No. 28 were combined into a new district, District No. 50. District No. 50 consisted of:1) the new Humble High School on Higgins Street2) Humble Grammar School on Higgins Street3) the new Woodward School at Moonshine Hill (now referred to as the Hill School)4) the new brick Singleton School on Atascocita Road5) The Colored School at BordersvilleSingleton School on Atascocita Road 1919(Courtesy of the Humble Museum)A few months later, on February 19, 1919, a Special Act of the 36th Texas Legislature transformed Common School District No. 50 into the Humble Independent School District. By becoming an independent school district, the Humble schools no longer are governed by the Superintendent of Harris County Schools. The school board became the sole governing body of the school district. However, an error in the creation of the district caused a problem. The act creating the school district neglected to include language for the district to collect taxes directly. Humble ISD still had to rely on Harris County for taxation of property. This error was corrected a few years later, when on May 14, 1923 the legislature "re-authorized" Humble ISD.The population of the town waned back and forth over the next few decades. The combination of men going off to World War I, and families moving off to new oil towns, slowly diminished the student population. The district still provided a great education for students. In 1921, a new Primary School was opened on Avenue F, across the street from the Humble Grammar School.Map of school property around Higgins Street 1925(Courtesy of Dr. Robert Meaux)
Most of the early sports activities at Humble High School started in the late teens and 1920s, including football, baseball, basketball, girls basketball, girls volleyball, and tennis. An auto mechanics programs existed from 1924-1927.Humble Auto Mechanics 1925(Courtesy of the Humble Museum)In December 1926, Humble High School was received as a member of the Southern Association of Secondary Schools and Colleges. Only one other high school in Harris County and comparatively few in the state had received this affiliation. In 1926, the Singleton School was closed due to low enrollment.Humble High School Tennis Club 1924(Courtesy of the Humble Museum)A fire in the early hours of January 26, 1929 resulted in the total loss of the Humble Grammar School. The citizens and school board authorized a $140,000 schoolhouse bond to pay for the construction of a new junior-senior high school building. The school board hired architect Harry D. Payne to build a slightly smaller version of his recent construction, Robert E. Lee High School in Baytown. The school was christened Charles Bender High School, in honor of Charles Bender and past support of his family. When Charles Bender High School opened for the 1930-1931 school year, it was one of the most advanced schools in the county since it had a built in cafeteria and gymnasium. At that time the 1918 Humble High School building was renamed as Humble Grammar School (sometimes also called Humble Elementary).Charles Bender High School(Courtesy of the Humble Museum)Due to housing shortages, construction began on a teacher's cottage on Avenue D, across the street from Humble Elementary. By the time the cottage was completed, there was no longer a housing shortage and it became the Superintendent's home.
The first tenant was Humble ISD Superintendent A. G. Mosley, who was charged $30 rent per month.The Hill School (aka Woodward School) was closed in 1932 due to low enrollment. From 1932 to 1947, all white students in the district were educated at Humble Elementary and Charles Bender High School on Higgins Street, while all African-American students were educated at the Colored School at Bordersville. Dr. Floyd H. Burton becomes Superintendent of Humble ISD in 1942.The district purchased a large tract of land on Charles Street in 1938. This land becomes the location of the Humble Football Stadium in 1946. A new Humble Elementary School building was opened on Charles Street in 1948, next to the Humble Football Stadium. This was the location of Humble Elementary until a new campus was built behind Deerbrook Mall in 1999.Humble Elementary School on Charles Street, 1950(Courtesy of the Humble Museum)By the beginning of the 1950s, Humble ISD was in danger of being dissolved and merged with another district due to low enrollment. Fortunately, it was about this time the a shift took place in the population in-and-around Houston. During the 1950s, families started to leave the city of Houston and took up residence in the suburbs, including Humble. The sudden increase in population saved Humble ISD from being dissolved. The growth also resulted in some changes to Charles Bender High School. The old 1918 Humble High School building, which was being used as an elementary/junior high, was demolished to allow for a new cafeteria, band hall, and gymnasium to be added to Charles Bender High School.Another Humble iSD school was added for the 1960-1961 school year. The Lakeland School opened in the Lakeland subdivision off of Isaacks Road for grades 4 through 7. Students in grades 1-3 attended Humble Elementary on Charles Street. By the next year the school was renamed as Lakeland Elementary.Lakeland Elementary School 1960(Courtesy of the Humble Museum)A continuous growth of enrollment resulted in another new school to be opened in 1965. In that year, a new Humble High School opened on Wilson Road at a cost of $1.2 million dollars. Charles Bender High School was still used as an junior high school for a brief time. From that point on, growth has never slowed, and new schools have been constructed at a rapid rate.Humble High School on Wilson Road 1971(Courtesy of the Humble Museum)Humble ISD's North Belt Elementary opened in the southern part of the district in 1968. A year later, the Houston Intercontinental Airport opened on the east side of Humble in 1969 (later renamed as George Bush Intercontinental Airport). The opening of the airport resulted in more business development in and around Humble.For the 1968-1969 school-year, Curriculum Coordinator Bill Woods introduced a new staff development initiative. Students were released one hour early on six days during the year to allow faculty to participate in professional development. This system of holding staff development during regular school hours is still practiced by Humble ISD today.Texas Congresmman George Bush and Humble High SchoolStudent Council President Jack Fields in December 1968(Courtesy of the Humble Museum)A Kindergarten program was first piloted in Humble ISD during the 1969-1970 school-year. Two half-day Kindergarten sessions of 25 students in each session was held 8:30-11:30 AM and 12:20-3:30 PM. Parents were charged a $15 per month tuition for the program. Neither transportation nor lunches were provided.In 1970, development began on a new master-planned community in the northern part of the district, called Kingwood. The first village opened in 1971. The first Humble ISD school built in Kingwood was Foster Elementary, which opened in 1971. Humble had grown from 3 schools in 1947 to 6 schools in 1971.In the years leading up to the 21st century, Humble ISD continued its steady growth rate. With the development of Kingwood and Atascocita, Humble ISD expanded both its physical presence and curricular and extra-curricular offerings. With the opening of Kingwood High School, Humble ISD was a two comprehensive high-school district, and it remained that way until 2006, when Atascocita High School opened its doors. Quest High School, a magnet school of choice, opened in 1995, and has evolved into Quest Early College High School in 2010-2011. Humble ISD has grown to a current (2010-2011) population of over 35,000 students, and offers six comprehensive high schools, as well as Quest. HHS is now an International Baccalaureate Diploma school, and students can select from a myriad of courses to follow their interests and talents. Humble ISD has been listed as one of the 25 fastest growing districts in the state, and boasts outstanding honors in athletics, scholastic endeavors, and the arts.1. History of Humble ISD (by Dr. Robert Meaux)2. Inspiring Moments History of Humble ISD3. Robert Meaux: an author on the history of Humble (Your Schools TV, 05/26/2014)4. Former Trustees Dr. J. Alford Moore and Bill Biven recall serving on
the Humble ISD Board of Trustees (Your Schools TV, 07/24/2014)
The school district consists of:
- Humble High School (1965)
- Kingwood high School (1979)
- Quest Early College High School (1995)
- Atascocita High School (2006)
- Kingwood Park High School (2007...campus built in 1993 as Kingwood HS 9th grade campus)
- Summer Creek High School (2009)
- plus the Career & Technology Center (2001)
- Humble Middle School (opened 1971...new campus built in 1993)
- Kingwood Middle School (1977)
- Creekwood Middle School (1981)
- Atascocita Middle School (1983)
- Riverwood Middle School (1991)
- Timberwood middle School (1998)
- Ross Sterling Middle School (opened 2007 in the 1971 Humble MS building)
- Woodcreek middle School (2010)
- Humble Elementary (opened 1948...new campus built 1999)
- Lakeland Elementary (1958)
- North Belt Elementary (1968)
- Foster Elementary (1971)
- Woodland Hills Elementary (1976)
- Bear Branch Elementary (1978)
- Elm Grove Elementary (1979)
- Greentree Elementary (1981)
- Timber Elementary (1981)
- Pine Forest Elementary (1985)
- Deerwood Elementary (1985)
- Willow Creek Elementary (1988)
- Hidden Hollow Elementary (1990)
- Whispering Pines Elementary (1991)
- Shadow Forest Elementary (1993)
- Jack M. Fields Elementary (1995)
- Oak Forest Elementary (1995)
- Maplebrook Elementary (2001)
- Summerwood Elementary (2004)
- Eagle Springs Elementary (2006)
- Park Lakes Elementary (2006)
- River Pines Elementary (2007)
- Fall Creek Elementary (2008)
- Lakeshore Elementary (2009)
- Atascocita Springs Elementary (2010)
- Ridge Creek Elementary (2013)
Superintendent #12 (2016 - today):Dr. Elizabeth Fagen
Dr. Elizabeth Fagen joined Humble ISD in July 2016 as Superintendent. Born and raised in Iowa, she earned her bachelor’s degree from William Penn University in Oskaloosa, Iowa, and her doctoral and master’s degrees and her education specialist degree from Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa. Beginning as a high school biology and chemistry teacher, she progressed into positions as associate principal, principal, and executive director of high schools. Ultimately in Iowa, she became Associate Superintendent of Des Moines Independent School District. Dr. Fagen then spent the next 8 years of her career as a Superintendent, serving the Tucson Unified School District in Arizona and the Douglas County School District in Colorado.
Superintendent #11 (2001-2016):Dr. Guy M. Sconzo
The current Superintendent of the Humble Independent School District is New York native Dr. Guy M. Sconzo. Dr. Sconzo was appointed Superintendent of Humble ISD in June 2001. He earned a Masters degree from New York University, and a PhD from Ohio State University. Under Dr. Sconzo’s leadership, Humble ISD has grown from twenty-six campuses to over forty campuses, including the additions of the CATE center and the Instructional Support Center.
Superintendent #10 (1982-2001):Dr. Michael W. Say
Dr. Michael W. Say, a native of Port Arthur, was elected Superintendent on April 13, 1982. He earned his Masters and Doctorate degrees from the University of Houston. Prior to his employment with Humble, he was Superintendent of Instruction and Support Services for Houston Independent School District. In 1992, Dr. Say was named Superintendent of the Year for the Houston/Gulf Coast area. During his time as Superintendent, Humble ISD grew from thirteen campuses to twenty-six campuses, plus the addition of the Community Learning Center.
Superintendent #9 (1961-1982):George E. Turner
A 1942 graduate of Charles Bender High School, George Emmitt Turner (1925-2002) was appointed Interim Superintendent upon the death of Dr. Floyd Burton. He officially became Superintendent in January, 1962. He led the district during years of rapid growth in the Kingwood and Atascocita areas. During George Turner’s tenure as Superintendent, Humble ISD grew from four schools to thirteen schools.
Superintendent #8 (1942-1961):Dr. Floyd Burton
Texas native Floyd Hayne Burton (1903-1961) earned his Doctorate degree in June, 1953. His starting salary was $2,700 per year, plus he was given use of the Superintendent’s house. By 1956, his yearly salary was increased to $9,000. On September 12, 1961, Dr. Burton died from injuries sustained in an automobile accident. Under Dr. Burton’s leadership the district grew from two schools (Bender HS and Humble Grammar Schools) to four schools (with the addition of Humble Elementary and Lakeland Elementary).
Superintendent #7 (1933-1942):Frank William Allenson
A native of Kansas, Frank William Allenson (1898-1976) served as Principal of Charles Bender High School from 1930-1933. On April 14, 1933, he was elected to the office of Superintendent, a position he served in for nine years. During this time, the Humble schools were consolidated from five schools of low enrollment, to two schools: Charles Bender High School and the Humble Grammar School. He resigned as Superintendent, at the end of the 1941-1942 school year, to accept the position of Superintendent of the Brenham Public Schools.
Superintendent #6 (1930-1933):Albert Guy Moseley
Albert Guy Moseley (1895-1942) was first hired as Principal of the Humble Grammar School for the 1926-1927 school year. The following year he became Principal of Humble High School. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree from Sam Houston State Teachers College. He had ten years experience as a teacher when he was elected as Superintendent of the Humble ISD on April 18, 1930. He served as Superintendent for 3 years.
Superintendent #5 (1925-1930):Earl Kilbe BardenA native of Indiana, Earl Kilbe Barden (1883-1950) was elected Superintendent of Humble ISD on May 26, 1925. He had previously been Superintendent of the public schools in Dayton, Texas. He was the first Humble Superintendent to be allowed to hire a secretary (to assist him in clerical work). In 1928, he served as President of the Southern Association of Teachers. He also served as Census Trustee for Humble ISD beginning in February, 1929. He resigned in 1930 to accept the position of Superintendent of the Sugar Land School District.
Superintendent #4 (1924-1925):David Roberts Hibbetts
Texas native David Robert Hibbetts (1877-1969) was appointed Interim Superintendent for the 1924-1925 school year. He earned his Bachelors degree from Valparaiso University, and his Masters degree from the University of Texas in Austin. During his one year as Superintendent, he also taught German for the high school.
Superintendent #3 (1919-1924):Edward Elbert BagwellA native of North Carolina, Edward Elbert Bagwell (1871-1947) was appointed Superintendent on May 29, 1919, during his 23rd year of teaching. He earned his Bachelors degree from the University of North Carolina. Beginning in 1922, he served as Census Trustee for the District. Humble ISD consisted of six schools at the time. He resigned in 1924 to accept the position of Superintendent for the public schools in Yorktown, Texas.
Superintendent #2 (1911-1919):John Franklin Crawford
John Franklin Crawford (1860-1930), a native of Mississippi, was the Superintendent of Humble for 8 years. He also served as Principal of the Humble School 1911-1914. In 1917, his duties were expanded to include being the Corresponding Secretary of the School Board. He served as Superintendent of Common District No. 28 (1911-1918), then District No. 50 (when Districts 28 and 35 were combined in 1918), and finally for the Humble ISD when it was created in 1919. His supervision during the early years was crucial to the development of Humble ISD today. Crawford left Humble in 1919 to become the first superintedent of the Goose Creek ISD, where he served until 1924.
Superintendent #1 (1909-1911):Daniel Henry Womack
Daniel Henry Womack (1867-1957), a native Texan, is the first known Superintendent of the Humble Schools. He served as the Superintendent of Harris County Common School District No. 28 (Humble), which consisted of two schools. In addition to being Superintendent, he also served as Principal of the Humble School in 1909 and 1910. He later became a university professor in Austin.
Humble ISD History provided by Dr. Robert Meaux