Over the past year, Humble ISD received input from high school students, principals, and the District Decision Making Committee regarding the dress code. Based upon this input, the following updates will be in place for the 2017-2018 school year during instructional time:
- Facial hair, while allowed, must be neatly groomed and a natural color. Previously, facial hair was not allowed.
- Students may wear earrings. No other piercings are allowed. Previously, earrings could be worn by female students only.
Students and parents should keep these points in mind when planning outfits for school:
Any form of dress that attracts undue attention, is unsafe, disrupts school, is considered gang related or detracts from the learning process is not acceptable. Administration and faculty have the right to consider any current fashion or fad and determine whether it is appropriate for school.
- Students at all grade levels may wear shorts, but “short shorts” are forbidden. The length of shorts must be between the knee and mid-thigh.
- Fashions with slits above mid-thigh are not acceptable.
- Spaghetti straps, leotards and halters as an outer garment are not acceptable. Blouses covering tube tops must be buttoned.
- Visible tattoos are not permitted.
- Students must wear shoes. Steel-toed shoes, house slippers, cleats and roller or wheeled shoes are not permitted. In addition, elementary students may not wear flip-flops or heels above one-half inch.
- Sleepwear may not be worn at school.
- Excessively loose or tight garments are not acceptable. All clothing should be appropriately fitted.
- All shirts must be worn so as not to expose the bare chest. Tank tops or undershirts are not to be worn as outer garments. The midriff must not be exposed when a student goes through the normal activities of a school day, including bending, stretching or reaching.
- Male students are not allowed to wear shirts without sleeves.
- Elementary students are not allowed to wear makeup.
- Sunglasses are not allowed to be worn in the school building.
- Hairstyles must be neat, clean and well groomed. Hair that is dyed an unnatural color, such as green or orange, is not permitted.