What is the TSIA?
The TSI Assessment (TSIA) is part of the Texas Success Initiative program designed to help your college or university determine if you are ready for college-level course work in the areas of reading, writing, and mathematics. If you are an incoming college student in Texas, you are required to take the TSI Assessment - unless you are already exempt (read below) - to determine your readiness for college-level work. Based on how you perform, you may either be enrolled in a college-level course and/or be placed in the appropriate developmental course or intervention to improve your skills and prepare you for success in college-level courses.
Math - 350
Reading - 351
Writing - 340
Essay - 4
TSIA at Quest ECHS
While the test is designed for high school graduates to check for college readiness, all 9th graders are required to take the TSIA before the start of their freshmen year. As a freshmen, students can be enrolled in two dual credit courses by just taking the assessment (DC Physical Education and EDUC embedded in the spring semester of AVID 1).
9th graders should not be too discouraged about not passing the TSI on their first attempt. 9th and 10th grade classes increase student knowledge and skills that support success on the TSI. Quest has numerous systems built into the program to support student success on the TSI and students have opportunities throughout the year to retest in order to be enrolled in their dual credit classes throughout the course walk.
Testing at QECHS - testing windows will be posted and communicated for on-campus testing in the fall, spring, and summer. Students will sign up for testing with Mrs. Burke, the campus testing coordinator. Testing at QECHS is free of charge.
Testing at Lone Star College-Kingwood - At this time, LSC-K is offering both on-site testing and remote testing at the Kingwood campus. First time testing is free at LSC-K. Retesting is $10 per section or $29 for the entire test. Remote/virtual testing is $25. Follow the steps below to set up testing with LSC-K:
- First time testers must first complete the Pre-Assessment Activity for TSI Assessment at https://www.tsipreview.com/ .
- Students email KC-DualCredit@lonestar.edu with full name, LSC ID #, and the test sections need to take
- Students will receive a testing code
- Once students receive a testing code, email Kingwood.Testing@lonestar.edu to set up a testing session
- When the student has taken the TSI, send the office PDF score report to email@example.com . (Screenshots will not be accepted; report must clearly show date taken, student identification info, and scores)
****All communication with Lone Star must be completed through a personal email address or the student's LSC email address. Humble ISD email addresses go directly to Lone Star SPAM/JUNK folders.
Preparing for the TSIA
- www.testprepreview.com/accuplacer_practice.htm (TSI is same as Accuplacer)
- www.thea.nesinc.com/practice.htm (Tests are at the bottom of page)
- Access the free TSI-A Study App: Type “130095469,” “Texas,” or “TSI” into the Search window at store.collegeboard.org. A link to the TSI Assessment Web-Based Study App is included in the Student Resources section on the platform’s Welcome Page. Go to Accuplacer.org, click on the Information for Student section on the right, then click on “interactive on-line learning tool” in the paragraph. This will then lead you to the page to click on the FREE APP!!!