What is the TSIA 2.0?
The TSI Assessment (TSIA) is part of the Texas Success Initiative program designed to help your college or university determine if you are ready for college-level course work in the areas of reading, writing, and mathematics. If you are an incoming college student in Texas, you are required to take the TSI Assessment - unless you are already exempt (read below) - to determine your readiness for college-level work. Based on how you perform, you may either be enrolled in a college-level course and/or be placed in the appropriate developmental course or intervention to improve your skills and prepare you for success in college-level courses.
TSIA 2.0 Scoring
*Each section starts with a placement test. If a student does not receive a qualifying score in the placement test, they are moved into the Diagnostic test. The diagnostic test is a second opportunity to pass with a qualifying score. Students should take the Diagnostic section as serious as the placement test for the best opportunity to pass.
Required Math Score - 950 on the placement test or a 6 on the Diagnostic test
Required ELAR Score - 945 on the placement test or at least a 5 on the Diagnostic test
Required Essay Score - 5
Testing at Sconzo ECHS
While the test is designed for high school graduates to check for college readiness, all 9th graders are required to take the TSIA 2.0 before the start of their freshmen year. As a freshmen, students can be enrolled in two dual credit courses by just taking the assessment (DC Physical Education and EDUC embedded in the spring semester of AVID 1).
9th graders should not be too discouraged about not passing the TSI on their first attempt. 9th and 10th grade classes increase student knowledge and skills that support success on the TSI. Sconzo has numerous systems built into the program to support student success on the TSI and students have opportunities throughout the year to retest in order to be enrolled in their dual credit classes throughout the course walk.
Current Students - TSIA 2.0 Testing Directions and Dates
Students must complete 6 tutorials before each monthly TSI testing and administration. Use the TSI Tutorial Log to record your tutorials. 3 tutorials must be with a teacher and 3 can be done by completing 3 full APEX units (Accessing APEX Tutorials Directions).
A sign-up form will be sent out via Mrs. Burke's Schoology group and a Knight Connect (email) at the beginning of each month for students to sign up for that testing administration.
Students can test during their Learning Labs, MAPS, or release periods. Students may not miss academic classes to take the TSI. If a student does not have a learning lab to test in, please contact Melyssa.Burke@humbleisd.net at least 1 week before the testing sessions to determine if other options are available.
Testing at Lone Star College-Kingwood
1. Apply to Lone Star College before scheduling any assessments.
2. Complete the Pre-Assessment Activity (PAA). The PAA must be completed prior to taking the TSIA2 Assessment and is available online. Click here to access the Online PAA or go your mylonestar account and new student orientation to access.. Once the PAA is completed, students will get a completion certificate and can use that to take their TSIA2 Assessment with a campus testing center. Students who are TSIA2 Exempt are not required to complete the PAA unless they are choosing to take the TSIA2 Assessment.
3. Take TSI Test - two options in person or online. You must have Lone Star student number.
- TSI Test in person at Lonestar - Students with Lone Star ID number can go to Atascocita or Kingwood testing centers during open hours (at least 2 hours prior to closing) to take test in person
- The TSI is free for your first attempt as Dual Credit. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain a testing referral.
If this is your second time taking the test, email email@example.com to obtain your testing referral and payment instructions.
- Testing Centers – call or view hours on Lone Star website. Testing Centers | (lonestar.edu)
LSC-Atascocita Testing Center Hours (Phone: 832-775-0820)
LSC-Kingwood Testing Center Hours (Phone: 281-312-1476) 2nd floor of SCC building
Testing Center Guidelines
A valid photo ID
If 16 or younger a parent must be with student
Locker will be provided for personal belongings.
- Ask Testing Center to print your score.
- Accommodations: If you currently receive accommodations (504/Special Education) contact Lonestar Disability Services if you require accommodations for testing. https://www.
- TSI Test online - Email kc-dualcredit@lonestar.
edu for testing referral and instructions on how to take the test online.
Preparing for the TSIA
www.testprepreview.com/accuplacer_practice.htm (TSI is same as Accuplacer)
www.thea.nesinc.com/practice.htm (Tests are at the bottom of page)
Access the free TSI-A Study App: Type “130095469,” “Texas,” or “TSI” into the Search window at store.collegeboard.org. A link to the TSI Assessment Web-Based Study App is included in the Student Resources section on the platform’s Welcome Page. Go to Accuplacer.org, click on the Information for Student section on the right, then click on “interactive on-line learning tool” in the paragraph. This will then lead you to the page to click on the FREE APP!!!