Debbie HowardStudent Support Counselor Grades 9-12Located in Room #4501 in LRC281-641-6967
10 STEPS TO HELPING MY CHILD BE SUCCESSFUL at KHS
1. Check Home Access weekly and ask your student about failing or missing grades. Contact the teacher if concerns arise.
2. Bookmark or put in "favorites" the site addresses for the Kingwood High School webpage to find current information.
3. Come to Parent Nights, Open House and other meetings to stay informed about the school and to receive updates on school-related issues.
4. Sit down with your child at the beginning of each grading period to set and review goals and expectations on GPA, attendance, conduct, extra-curricular activities and course selections with them.
5. Help your student learn organizational skills and come prepared to school. Restock supplies, purchase a planner, and reinforce use of these items.
6. Set a consistent schedule for homework and check to see that work is completed (ask to see the work).
7. Arrange for your student to stay for tutorials before tests and when they are struggling with a subject.
8. Get to know your child's friends and who they spend their time with at school and out of school.
9. Most importantly, be involved. Research indicates that students with involved parents are more likely to be successful in school.
10. Contact your student's counselor if you feel you need further support for your child.