Things to Know About the District of Innovation Opportunity in Humble ISD
In HUMBLE ISD, we are committed to Every Child.
On June 21st, 2016 the Board of Trustees approved a resolution to explore the opportunity for HUMBLE ISD to become a District of Innovation. The Board passed this resolution based on its:
What do we know about the District of Innovation (DI) Opportunity?
- commitment to the success of Every Child;
- long-standing practice of supporting innovation for the benefit of students; and,
- belief that it can be a better decision-making body for students when it has freedom to exercise local control over the decision-making process.
HB 1842 was passed during the 84th Texas Legislative Session in Spring, 2015, and provides Texas public school districts the opportunity to be designated as Districts of Innovation.
Districts of Innovation may be exempted from a number of state statutes and will have:
- greater local control as the decision makers over the educational and instructional model for students;
- increased freedom and flexibility, with accountability, relative to state mandates that govern educational programming; and
- Empowerment to innovate and think differently.
What’s the process for becoming a District of Innovation?
In HUMBLE ISD, the DI process will align with the District’s strategic planning process and annual budget development process.
A high level overview of the proposed timeline is as follows:
- The Board of Trustees passes a resolution to study the concept and opportunities provided under the District of Innovation legislation (HB1842) June 21st, 2016.
- The District Improvement Team (DIT) is acquainted with the DI opportunity on June 21st, 2016.
- The Board of Trustees holds a public hearing and appoints a District Level Committee (DLC) to develop a Local Innovation Plan (LIP) on June 21st, 2016.
- A Local Innovation Plan (LIP) is developed by a stakeholder committee appointed by the HUMBLE ISD Board of Trustees. The process includes feedback loops with the Board of Trustees and DIT.
- The DIT holds a public hearing at which time it considers and then takes vote on LIP June 21st, 2016.
- The Board of Trustees votes to notify the Texas Education Agency Commissioner of its intention to vote on adopting final LIP on June 21st, 2016.
- The LIP is posted on the district website for at least 30 days by July 8th 2016.
- Board of Trustees votes to adopt final LIP on August 8th2016.
Where should questions/comments about the District of Innovation opportunity be directed?
Please direct all questions/comments regarding the District of Innovation opportunity to Carol Atwood, Assistant Superintendent of Accountability at 281-641-8125.How will stakeholders be able to follow the District of Innovation process?
The district will maintain a District of Innovation webpage on the district’s website at www.humbleisd.net/innovation.