The mission of Humble ISD Social Studies is to educate and inspire young people to be active, competent, and engaged citizens with the knowledge, intellectual processes, and democratic dispositions to lead and make a difference in their local communities, state, nation, and the world.
Social Studies curriculum and instruction provides students the knowledge and skills necessary to become life-long learners, critical thinkers, leaders, innovators, and informed and responsible citizens of the United States and the World. The is accomplished through the teaching of history, geography, culture, economics, government, citizenship, and innovations in science and technology.
Principles of High Quality Social Studies Instruction
- Inquiry-based learning, investigation, and higher order questioning
- Critical thinking, disciplinary reasoning, and academic skills serve as the driver of learning
- Close reading, close observation and analysis of information
- Performance tasks and authentic activities for learning and assessment
- Academic conversations and civic dialogue
- Evidence-based and authentic writing to learn
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. The true neighbor will risk his position, his prestige and even his life for the welfare of others."
--- Martin Luther King, Jr.