WHY CONSIDER ADVANCED ACADEMICS?
- Taking a rigorous curriculum in high school is the best predictor of students’ ability to complete a bachelors’ degree (Answers in the Toolbox, 1999).
- The number and quality of advanced courses a learner takes is more significant than GPA or class rank for predicting college success.
- Students taking more advanced courses score about 2.4 points higher on the ACT composite than students taking standard graduation plan courses (ACT High School Profile, 2005).
- Students taking Advanced Placement (AP) courses in high school have higher GPAs in college than students who do not take AP Courses (Answers in the Toolbox, 1999).
- Learners who have taken AP courses generally score higher on the SAT than learners who have not taken AP courses.
- The number of advanced courses a learner takes in high school may be a factor considered by a college when making admission decisions.
ADVANCED ACADEMIC OPPORTUNITIES AT HUMBLE HIGH