Atascocita Middle School Dance Program
Hi there and welcome to AMS Dance!My name is Sarah Polk, and I'm the Dance Teacher and Drill Team Director here at Atascocita Middle School. I can't wait to begin this school year!Firstly, please check your student's schedule and ensure they are in the correct level of Dance. New students (even if they are in 7th or 8th grade) MUST be in Dance 1 unless they have a scheduled audition to potentially move up Dance Class levels.This year we will cover the following Dance subjects:
However...We'll be implementing a new practice schedule:
- Elements of Dance (Dance 1 ONLY)
- Injury Prevention (Dance 1 ONLY)
- Counting/Charting Music
Supplies:ALL Dance students are required to have...
- Monday's: Ballet Class
- This will help with their flexibility, technique, and overall dance skills. Ballet is the foundation of all dance!
- Tuesday's: Technique/Skills
- Wednesday-Thursday's: Unit Study (Specific Dance Genre)
- Friday's: Fitness such as...
- Dance Conditioning
- Dance Cardio
- Walk/Run the AMS Track
- 1 inch binder filled with notebook paper
- All black dance leggings
- All black shirts/tanks (NEW)
- This does not need to be the same exact shirt each day. Please don't do that. Any black shirts or tanks within school dress code
- Tan jazz shoes (Due November 1st)
Should you have any questions please feel free to reach out.I'm looking forward to an amazing year!
- Thursday December 8, 2022:
- Dance 2 and Dance 3 take a field trip to see The Houston Ballet Nutcracker (More info to come IF we get approved to attend via AMS).
- Thursday December 15, 2022:
- Dance Department Holiday Showcase at Atascocita High School PAC (Time TBD)
- Friday May 19, 2023:
- Dance Department and Tigerettes Spring Showcase at Atascocita High School PAC (Time TBD)
--Sincerely,Mrs. PolkFormerly Ms. Bradley
Humble ISD is thrilled to offer a Dance Program at Atascocita Middle School! The 2020-2021 school year will be the third year having dance classes available as an elective during the AMS school day, and we are so excited!
This program will offer students an opportunity to participate, learn, and grow in various dance styles. Such dance genres include: ballet, modern, jazz, contemporary, and hip-hop. Students will be working in a collaborative setting, especially when learning to create choreography.
Beginner Dance (Dance 1), Intermediate/Advanced Dance (Dance 2/3) will be offered and will study each of these genres of dance alongside learning how to be a healthy dancer and dance as an art. In such, this course may count as either a PE credit or fine art credit.
If you have any questions please contact the Dance Instructor for Atascocita Middle School, Sarah Bradley, at email@example.com.
Items Required to Purchase On Your Own:
1. Solid black workout leggings (Must be below the knee & must not be see-through)
2. Tan jazz shoes. Example these jazz shoes via Amazon HERE
**Socks can be worn in place of dance shoes until you're able to purchase shoes**
**Dance Shoes are DUE BY November 1st**
3. Spiral notebook dedicated to Dance notes