¡Bienvenidos a la clase!
Spanish I, Spanish Intro and Exploring Languages
I am Yrene Lancaster, the teacher of your children this year for Intro to Spanish, Spanish I, and Exploring Languages.
I am from the city of Valencia in the State of Carabobo, Venezuela. My undergraduate degree is in law, and then I received a master’s degree in Labor Law from the University of Carabobo where I then received my Juris Doctorate. I then taught Labor Law at the University of Carabobo for 5 years. I have a Texas Teaching Certification Spanish K-12, EC-4 Bilingual and Generalist. I then taught Labor Law at the University for 5 years and I have 10 years working in Humble and Aldine public schools as an Elementary Bilingual Teacher.
Room 200 C
8:28 – 9:20 am
9:20 – 10:15 am
10:20 – 11:12 am
Class: 11:16 – 12:16
D Lunch: 12:50-1:20
1:24 – 2:16 pm
2:20 – 3:12 pm
3:16 – 4:05 pm
Tutoring: Tuesdays and Thursday
Time: 4:05 – 5:00
Conference time: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (9:20 am-10: 10 am)
SUCCESS IN THIS SPANISH COURSE ASKS FOR:
- ALL STUDENTS TO WRITE IN THEIR JOURNAL CLEAR AND COMPLETE INFORMATION.
- ALL STUDENTS MUST KEEP A NOTEBOOK FOR THEIR CLASSWORK (FOR THE PURPOSE OF KEEPING RECORD OF THEIR WORK)
- ALL STUDENTS WILL PRESENT COMPLETED ASSIGNMENTS TO TEACHER.
Class Rules: Students are expected to follow certain rules and regulations. Please refer to the student handbook for a complete listing of rules.
- Be prompt- Be in your assigned seat BEFORE the tardy bell rings and begin working IMMEDIATELY.
- Be Prepared- Have ALL materials for class when you enter the room.
- Be attentive - Listen carefully, stay alert, and follow instructions the FIRST time they are given.
- Be polite- Respect yourself and others. No profanity, arguing, or uncalled for talking back. Do not talk without permission (raise your hand), Respect all school property. No feet on the furniture. Sit in a manner that is conducive to learning.
- Only work on assignments for my class. Irrelevant items will be taken up. (other class work, notes, etc…)
Consequences include: verbal warnings, conferences, notes/phone calls home, and referrals to the office. Please note that consequences are given, at my discretion; according to the severity of the infraction.
Under NO circumstance do I allow a student to disrespect and/or disrupt another student, the learning process, or myself.
- Participation/ active learning grade- Points will be added for taking part in class activities and discussions as teacher feels appropriate.
- Seating- Students will have assigned seat I may move a student to a new location from time to time. If a student has a problem seeing, hearing, etc. I should be made aware as soon as possible in order to properly arrange seating.
- Bathroom procedure- No student shall exit the classroom without the teacher’s permission.
- Dismissal- Students are to REMAIN SEATED until the TEACHER dismisses the class. The class will be dismissed when the classroom is clean and ALL classroom supplies are returned to the proper place.
- Cell Phones- Students are NOT to use their phones during class, if a student is caught using his/her phone without permission the device will be confiscated and given back after class, if student refuses to concede the device, he/she will be referred for administrative consequence.
- Eating/drinking in class- No food or drink is allowed in the classroom.
- Homework– Sometimes Students will have homework assignments; all of them will be announced during class and on the teacher’s webpage. Homework assignments are designed to provide extra practice and mastery of the content.
- In-class assignments- a number of in-class assignments will be given during the class period. These are to be completed BEFORE class is dismissed. Students will practice grammar/ vocabulary and they will receive grades these assignments in order to monitor progress and check for understanding.
- Quizzes/ tests- unit and vocabulary quizzes will be given on a weekly basis. If the student misses a quiz/ test due to an excused absence,it must be made up during the next three school days following the absence. It is the student’s responsibility to keep track of his/ her missed quizzes/ tests.
- Cheating/ copying material- Any student found cheating and or copying any material for Spanish I will receive “0” points for the assignment. In addition, a disciplinary action may be taken in accordance with the policies of HHS.
Parents -- Do not hesitate to email me, should you have any questions or concerns.
¡Así Se Dice! Spanish I
Descubre – Spanish Intro
Important notice about the new textbooks: have incorporated online resources, including an online version of the textbook, and for that reason students will not be able to check out textbooks from HMS or Sra. Lancaster.
SER Y ESTAR POEM
ESTAR estar is where you are,
In a house or in a car.
If you’re happy or if you’re sad,
ESTAR can tell you if you’re mad
But SER, ser is who you are,
From the USA to Madagascar.
Skinny, smart, short or tall,
SER describes you best of all!
***HOW YOU FEEL AND WHERE YOU ARE, THAT IS WHEN TO USE ESTAR!