Welcome to the Clinic!
I am so excited to be your student's school nurse! I am looking forward to working with you and your kids to be able to provide a healthy and happy school environment where they feel safe, valued, and are encouraged every day to learn. Healthy kids learn better and it's my mission to help keep them in school! I love being able to provide kids the tools and knowledge to be healthy members of the community. Please do not hesitate to call or email me with any questions or concerns and also follow me on Twitter @Nurse_Metcalf! GO WOLVES!
Health Services in Humble ISD:
The Humble ISD Health Services Department is aligned with the Accelerated Learning Department to provide school health services to all students. Every campus is staffed with a Registered Nurse and services include direct student services; required screenings; health instruction; case management for students with chronic illnesses; and consultation with parents concerning student health problems. Nurses also monitor compliance with the immunization requirements of the Texas Department of State Health Services as well as communicable disease surveillance.
School clinics are staffed daily with a nurse or substitute nurse employed by Humble ISD. Services provided by the nurse are:
- First aid
- Assessment of illness
- Monitoring ill students until they are well enough to return to class, or are released to their parent of guardian
- Administration of medication medically necessary during the school day. *see Medications Policy
- Creation and implementation of a plan of care for students with chronic illnesses
- Screening for problems in vision, hearing, posture, and other health problems relevant to the school population
- Evaluation of immunization status to ensure compliance with Texas law on immunizations
- Consultation and guidance in areas of medical concern by the student, parent, or teacher
- Referral and follow-up of students in whom health problems have been identified
- Prevention and control of communicable disease
The mission of Humble ISD Health and Medical Services is to enhance the health and well being of the students, staff, and community thus supporting the education of all students through maximizing their educational time.
We see our professional school nurses as:
- Supporting the individual and collective health needs of students, staff and community
- Acknowledging the diversity of cultures within the district
- Valuing the unique ideologies of students and families
- Educating the student, staff, and community by promoting health and wellness
- Maintaining a superior level of professional competency as demonstrated by compliance with the Standards of Practice and Performance of School Nursing Practice