Humble Elementary School
Higgins Street Campus
February 1930 - August 1949
Humble Elementary School on Higgins Street opened in February 1930 for the 1929-1930 school-year. Prior to that time, grades 1-7 had been housed in the Humble Grammar School, while Humble High School held grades 8-11. When the Grammar School burned down in February 1929, all grades in the school district (1-11) were temporarily housed at Humble High School.
The District immediately set to work to build a new high school where the Grammar School had been located. When it opened, the district changed the alignment of grades within the campuses. Grades 6-11 were housed at the new Charles Bender High School, while grades 1-5 were housed next door in the old high school building, now called Humble Elementary.
A new Humble Elementary building was opened on Charles Street in 1949.