Humble Elementary School
Charles Street Campus
Charles Street Location
In July 1947, the school board started work on constructing a new building for Humble Elementary. It was decided to build the new campus by the new football stadium on Charles Street. The architectural firm of White and Cato was hired to design the campus.
In September, architect White gave the school board an update on the new building, including plans, costs, type of construction, etc.
In December 1947, the school board decided (1) to use a material called "Stran Steel" in the frame of the walls and in the roof structure, (2) that the floor would be concrete under asphalt tile, (3) that the inner walls be sheetrock, and (4) that metal frame windows be used.
In May 1948, the school board took out an additional loan of $35,000 to help in construction of the building.
In June 1948, the construction bid was awarded to Williams Construction Company and was discussed with their representative, Mr. A. B. Buvinghauser and Mr. Johnson.
At the March 1949 school board meeting, the use of "Silver Ray Lighting fixtures" was approved.
The building was substantially completed in June 1949.