My name is Ms. Ficken and I am the School Counselor at Oak Forest Elementary. This will be my 21st year at OFE, 6th year as the School Counselor, and I am thrilled to have the opportunity to work with you, your little Falcon(s), along with our fabulous staff.
In December 2002, I graduated from the University of Houston with my Bachelor's degree in Interdisciplinary Studies with a minor in Educational Psychology. I immediately began working at OFE as a Special Education teacher. I furthered my education in 2011 when I received my Master's degree in School Counseling. I grew up in the Humble/Kingwood area and am a graduate of Kingwood High School. I can't wait to welcome back our Falcons and meet all the new ones who will be joining us this year. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
What I do......
- Implement Humble ISD's classroom guidance curriculum The Great 8: Skills for Daily Living
- Counsel individuals and groups of students toward academic, personal, social/emotional, and career development
- Meet individually with EVERY student to explore their goals and aspirations for the future
- Intervene on behalf of any student whose immediate personal concerns or problems put the student's continued educational, career, personal, or social/emotional development at risk
- Participate in the intervention team process
- Consult with teachers, parents, and staff regarding student's needs
- Refer students and parents to special programs, specialists, and community agencies
- Participate in activities which contribute to the effective operation of the school
- Plan and evaluate the counseling program
- Pursue professional growth