• Developmental Milestones

    Skills such as taking a first step, smiling for the first time, and waving "bye bye" are called developmental milestones. Children reach milestones in how they play, learn, speak, act, and move (crawling, walking, etc.).

    Click here to see the milestones by age from the CDC. 

    What is Child Find?
    Child Find is a process designed to identify, locate and evaluate individuals birth to 21 years
    of age with disabilities who may need special education services.

    Who can begin the Child Find Process?
    Anyone can start the process: a parent, doctor, teacher, relative, or friend can call Humble ISD,
    Special Education Department at  281-641-8402.

    Why should we refer?
    Early identification and intervention can prevent failure and frustration. Special attention to
    teaching and learning strategies may help individuals overcome barriers to learning.

    What happens after the child is referred?

    • The parent(s) or legal guardian will be contacted by Humble ISD.
    • Parents and the school will decide if an assessment is needed.
    • An assessment plan designed to evaluate areas of concern may be developed.
    • Qualified school district personnel will conduct an evaluation.
    • The parents and evaluation personnel will have a meeting to talk about assessment results, special education eligibility and services.

    Who may qualify for special education services?
     Individuals who are identified as having any of the following disabilities according to federal and state criteria: • Learning Disability • Speech Impairment • Orthopedic Impairment • Other Health Impairment • Intellectual Disability • Emotional Disturbance • Autism • Multiple Disabilities • Traumatic Brain Injury • Visual Impairment • Auditory Impairment • Deaf-Blindness • Noncategorical Early Childhood
    Students attending private schools within Humble ISD boundaries are included in Child Find.
    How much do services cost?
    All services are provided at no cost to the individual, parents, or guardian.
    Information provided by: Region IV Educational Service Center 7145 West Tidwell Houston, TX 77092