District Leave Policy

    Any employee absent from work for more that ten consecutive days must file for a Leave of Absence. The Humble ISD policy on Leaves and Absences is published in the Employee Handbook.

    Types of Leaves of Absence

    • Temporary Disability Leave is strictly based on medical need and may be used for all medical issues including pregnancy. With this type of leave an employee may only be gone for the amount of time that a doctor indicates is necessary for the illness or pregnancy. Employees who have worked for Humble ISD for less than one year must use Temporary Disability Leave. The maximum length of leave is 180 calendar days.
    • Family and Medical Leave (FML) may be used by an employee who has been employed by Humble ISD for at least 12 months and has worked for 157 days during that 12 month period. FML entitles the employee to a total of 12 workweeks of leave without loss of any employment benefit accrued prior to the beginning of the leave and may be used for the following reasons:
      1. The birth or adoption of a child.
      2. To care for the employee's spouse, child, or parent if the spouse, child, or parent has a serious health condition.
      3. An employee's serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the functions of his or her position. 
    The application for leave must be signed by the employee and the Principal or Supervisor and then sent with an accompanying Dr.’s statement to Personnel for approval . The employee requesting leave will receive a written response from the Personnel office when the leave application has been reviewed. You will be notified if you will be paid off or if your leave balances are substantial enough to remain on the payroll. Forms and doctor's statements may be faxed to 281-641-1057.

    Employees should submit the paperwork for all planned leaves at least 30 days prior to the expected date of the start of the leave. Paperwork should be submitted for any unplanned leaves as quickly as possible. As babies are not always on schedule, the leave dates may need to be updated once the baby is born. You may call or email Personnel with the exact date your leave began. In the case that you deliver much earlier or are put on bedrest, you will need to send a revised Dr.’s statement with the new dates and the reason for the change. In the event that you do not go out on your expected date, notify the Personnel Department so that you will be paid correctly for the dates you do work.

    Employees will be PAID for as long as the employee has sick or personal days in their leave balance. The employee can use all days which are accrued (held over from previous years) and all days that are earned (current year days earned at the rate of 1/2 day for every 18 days worked). After those balances are exhausted, the rest of the leave will be unpaid. Employees who do not have any sick or personal days left will be paid off and the leave will all be unpaid leave. A salary payoff means that all salary for the year earned as of the leave date will be paid to the employee in a lump sum. After the payoff the employee will not be on the Payroll and will be responsible for paying their insurance premiums. Premium payments are due the 1st of each month and should be taken to the Payroll Department, failure to pay insurance premiums will result in a loss of benefits. The purpose of applying for unpaid leave is to hold the employee's job (or an equivalent job) while the employee is unable to work.

    Procedures for requesting leave of absence:
    • Notify your Principal or Supervisor as soon as you know a leave of absence is necessary.
    • Apply for leave and submit application form to Personnel with a doctor's statement.
    • Arrange for a long term substitute, if necessary.
    • Familiarize yourself with the leave of absence policy of the Humble ISD.
    • Budget for the change in pay caused by your absence from duty.
    • Keep your campus and the Personnel Office updated on changes that may occur with regards to leave dates and medical condition

    Questions? Contact Deborah Odom at 281-641-8159


    Humble ISD Human Resources
    20200 Eastway Village Dr., Humble, TX 77338 P.O. Box 2000, Humble, TX 77347-2000 Tel. 281-641-8170 Fax: 281-641-1057