MIDDLE SCHOOL TESTS
STAAR will include the following middle school assessments:
- 6th grade Mathematics and Reading
- 7th grade Mathematics, Reading and Writing
- 8th grade Mathematics, Reading, Social Studies and Science
- Students who are in Algebra I will be required to take the STAAR Algebra I EOC instead of the grade level STAAR mathematics assessment.
* All of these dates are the primary administration dates; however additional days are available for makeup and online testing.
TEA established a four (4) hour time limit for the STAAR grades 3-8 assessments. Extra time may be offered to students who meet specific eligibility criteria.
STAAR™ Performance Standards
Students will have a score in one of the four categories below:
- Masters Grade Level
- Meets Grade Level
- Approaches Grade Level
- Does Not Meet Grade Level
How does STAAR™ affect promotion to the next grade level?
The Student Success Initiative (SSI) grade advancement requirements apply to enrolled grades 5 and 8 students who take the STAAR reading and mathematics* tests at grades 5 and 8. It was enacted by the 76th Texas Legislature in 1999 and modified by the 81st Texas Legislature in 2009. As specified by these requirements, a student may advance to the next grade level only by passing these tests or by unanimous decision of his or her grade placement committee that the student is likely to perform at grade level after additional instruction. The goal of the SSI is to ensure that all students receive the instruction and support they need to be academically successful in reading and mathematics. This effort depends greatly on schools, parents, and community members working in partnership to meet individual student needs.
Students will be given up to three opportunities to pass each test (April, May and June).
For the Spring of 2018, retesting will be on the following dates:
8th Grade Mathematics: May 13, 2019 and June 25, 2019
8th Grade Reading: May 14, 2019 and June 26, 2019