The Superintendent, Senior Staff and Cabinet are responsible for the effective, efficient and accountable administration of the District. This responsibility includes requirements for educational program and curriculum management, staff and student development and assessment, data-driven decision making, sound financial management, maintaining an effective system of internal control, compliance with applicable laws and regulations, and maintaining the highest standards of ethical conduct. The Board of Trustees directs the Superintendent in these matters through establishing Board policy.
Board Committees assist the Board of Trustees in fulfilling its oversight responsibilities related to the administration of the District. The Board President routinely visits with each Committee Chair and the Superintendent and those discussions determine when the committee’s work is scheduled for a Board workshop or meeting.
Trustees appointed to the Audit Committee for 2018-2019:
Dr. Charles Cunningham (Chair)Martina Lemond-Dixon
Angela ConradScope of Work
- To assist the Board of Trustees in carrying out their responsibilities as it relates to the District's accounting policies, internal control, and financial reporting practices.
- To review the internal audit department's objectives, progress, and goals, and to review significant audit findings.
- To ensure that the Internal Audit Charter is periodically reviewed and updated where appropriate.
- To maintain lines of communication between the Board of Trustees, the Superintendent, and the District's external auditors, internal auditors, and financial management.
Trustees appointed to the Advocacy Committee for 2018-2019:
Nancy Morrison (Chair)
Dr. Charles Cunningham
Robert SittonScope of Work
- Represents Board on Lake Houston Area Chamber/City of Humble alternate year legislative trips to Austin and Washington, DC.
- Reviews and discusses all advocacy related Board agenda items prior to presentation to the full Board.
- Prepares the District Advocacy Goals.
Board and Superintendent Evaluation Committee
Trustees appointed to the Board and Superintendent Evaluation Committee for 2018-2019:
Keith Lapeze (Chair)
Building and Planning Committee
Trustees appointed to the Building and Planning Committee for 2018-2019:
Martina Lemond-Dixon (Chair)
Scope of Work
Purpose: To assist the Board of Trustees in fulfilling its oversight responsibilities relating to the District’s fiscal stability and financial planning. The Board Finance Committee is responsible for recommending financial policies, goals, and budgets that support the District’s mission, strategic goals and values.
- Reviews and provides guidance related to short term and long term facility needs and projects.
- Reviews contracts related to land purchases, leases, or sells.
- Reviews architectural plans related to new construction and renovations.
- Reviews recommendations and/or serves on the selection committee for professional services related to facility improvements and construction.
- Reviews all building and planning recommendations before they are presented to the Board of Trustees
Trustees appointed to the Finance Committee for 2018-2019:
Robert Sitton (Chair)
Dr. Charles Cunningham
Colin CarneyScope of Work
- Reviews all staff work related to annual budget development process prior to presentation to full Board.
- Reviews all bond funding work prior to the Superintendent making recommendations to the full Board.
- Annually reviews Finance regulations (CABR pages 238-273) for Debt Management, Post Issuance Compliance, Capital Improvement Program, Capital Assets Accounting and Financial Reporting, and School Properties Disposal. Additionally, reviews investments policy and strategies.