ANY STUDENT THAT ARRIVES LATE OR LEAVES EARLY DURING THE SCHOOL DAY
MUST SIGN IN/OUT AT THE ATTENDANCE OFFICE
Procedures to leave campus during the school day
- If a student knows in advance they need to leave campus during the day, they should bring a note from their parent/guardian with the following information:
Time for the student to be released
Reason for checking out
and a Phone Number where the parent can be reached to verify the note.
This note is to be taken to the student’s house secretary before school. The house secretary will call the parent to confirm. Once confirmed, a check-out pass will be written and attached to the parent note. When it is time to leave, the student should present the check-out pass to their teacher and then proceed to the Attendance Office to sign their self out.
The student must show their check-out pass to the teacher whose class the student is leaving. A STUDENT WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO LEAVE ANY CLASSROOM WITHOUT THIS CHECK-OUT PASS.
If a student is ill: The student should go to the CLINIC with a Clinic Pass from their teacher. If it is determined the student needs to go home, the nurse will then call the parents to arrange for pick up. The student will be called to the attendance window where they will turn in a copy of their clinic pass and pick up their check out pass.
Regardless of which method a student obtains their check out pass, they must report to the ATTENDANCE OFFICE and obtain a yellow check out pass to leave school.
Students must have their time and date stamped check-out pass BY THE ATTENDANCE OFFICE in order to be in the parking lot when leaving campus.
Please return with your check-out pass to the Attendance Office along with your note (doctor, college, court, etc.) when returning to school, whether it is the same day or the following day. Reminder: Notes are to be turned in within 2 days of returning to school.
These same procedures must be followed even if the student is 18 or older. If a student is emancipated, they must go through their house principal to check out.
ALL CHECK OUT PASSES MUST BE PRE-ARRANGED
Walk-in check outs cannot be processed the last 20 minutes of the school day.
ANYONE CHECKING A STUDENT OUT MUST BE ON THE STUDENT’S CONTACT LIST AND PRESENT A VALID PICTURE ID matching that name on the list.
Only Parents/Guardians can update Contact Information during the school year. It must be done in person at the Registrar's Office. Parent/Guardian must present a valid picture ID.
Please allow plenty of time to check-out your student. This is a large campus.
Familiarize yourself with your child’s schedule. Please avoid checking out students during their athletic period.
Certain times of the day and circumstances may require additional lead time to process student check outs. (during lunch, between class periods, room changes, etc.)
Avoid coming to check your student out while they are in an athletic period.
Procedures to enter/return to campus during the school day
- All Students must sign in at the Attendance Office as soon as they arrive during the school day. (Parents do not have to come in to sign in their student, but we do need a note, email or phone call.)
- An excuse (parent note, phone call, doctor note, college letter, court document, etc.) is required for all non-school related absences. If a student fails to bring a note on the date they return to school, they have TWO DAYS after his/her return to school to bring an absence excuse. If no excuse is submitted, the absence will be regarded as a truancy. Refer to the truancy policy for academic and disciplinary consequences.
- The only time a Parent Note is NOT needed: When a student is signed out (and there is no doctor, court, or college note/excuse) or when a parent or guardian calls or emails in the absence to the Attendance Office - Calls/emails must also be received within the 48 hours.
- Please monitor your student’s attendance on HAC regularly, especially after an absence, to make certain your attendance records are accurate. Please let us know as soon as possible, if you have any questions. If you get our voice mail, please leave a message and we will return your call.
Please review the 2019-20 HISD Parent/Student Handbook concerning attendance policies.