The job of the school nurse that most people are familiar with is to provide first aid and illness care for students during the school day. We provide many other services for the students as well. However the Framework for 21st Century School Nursing Practice provides structure and focus for the key principles and components of current day, evidence-based nursing practice. It calls for a collaborative approach to learning and health. Central to the Framework is student-centered nursing care that occurs within the context of the students family and school community. A student is the center of our nursing care and we view the student's care in the context of their family, and school community. We aim to provide quality care in a quality learning environment.
Listed below are just a few of the programs Humble ISD elementary school nurses are responsible for each school year.
- Yearly Vision & Hearing Screening
- Immunization Review
- Reviewing health inventories on all students and creating care plans and emergency action plans as needed
- Medication Administration
- Medical Procedures
- Diabetic Risk Assessment for students in 1st, 3rd & 5th grade
- Scoliosis Screening for 5th grade girls
- Health Education lessons in the classroom
If you have any questions concerning these services or programs please don't hesitate to call (281-641-1205.)
There are opportunities for parents to volunteer during the vision and hearing screening each fall.