There are many things you can do to help your child with their reading at home. At school we teach them other reading strategies besides sounding it out. Here are a few things that you can do when a word is TRICKY...
1. Look at the picture- see if the picture can help you figure out what the word is
2. Think about the story- ask yourself, what is the story about?
3. Go back and read- Check yourself and see if what you read makes sense
4. Look at the first part of the word and say it- Keep reading the word and strech the sounds
5. Try the word and check it- Just try and see if the word makes sense in that sentence
6. Think- Where can I break the word?- Look to see if there are chucks in the word, do you know any words inside of that word that may help?
If your child says the wrong word while reading, ask questions like:
Does it make sense?
Does it sound right?
Does it look right?