To report an absence, please call the Attendance Office at: 281-641-4803.If a student is absent and the parent has not called in the absence, parents will automatically be notified either by text or email.
Attendance Information and PoliciesThe Texas Education Code (25.087) specifies absences that are allowable and considered as “excused.” These absences do not count toward student absences for the semester or year. These absences include:
- Observation of religious or holy days.
- Court appearance.
- Attending a government office for the purpose of approving a student’s citizenship.
- Documented health-care appointments for the student.
- Students sounding “Taps” at a military honors funeral for a military veteran.
All other absences count toward a student’s total number of absences for the year. Essentially, an absence is an absence. These can include:
- Unexcused absences for which the student does not bring a parent note or the parent does not call.
- Illnesses, including illnesses excused by a doctor’s note.
- Surgery, even with a note from the surgeon/ doctor.
- Absences for which a student brings a parent note or the parent calls the attendance office.
- Absences due to students on vacation with their family.
Unintended Consequences for Excessive Absences:
- **Loss of Exam Exemptions- Students are allowed no more than 3 absences in any class to be eligible for exam exemptions at the end of each semester. (Humble ISD Student Handbook)
**This only applies to students in high school credit classes that give final exams.
- Loss of Credit- Students who miss more than 10% of the class days per semester can lose credit for their courses, even if they are passing the courses, if they do not follow the plan outlined by the campus to recover absences. (Humble ISD Student Handbook; Texas Education Code 25.092)
- Court Appearances- Students who miss 10 or more days in a 6 month period or students that are absent without an excuse on three or more days or parts of days within a four-week period will be subject to making an appearance before a judge to explain their absences. Both they and their parents are subject to fines and other consequences for failure to attend school. (Texas Education Code 25.092)
RMS Attendance Policies:
- Attendance Review Committee Appearances- Students who accrue absences in any period that exceed 25% of instructional days for the semester must appear before the campus Attendance Review Committee. The committee will make a determination of whether the absences will be allowed and course credit will be awarded. The committee’s decision on these matters is final and is only appealable to the Humble ISD School Board. (Texas Education Code 25.092)
- Students will be given credit for classes if they are passing the course at the end of the semester and in attendance for a minimum of 90% of instructional days. Absences are counted for individual class periods. If a student falls below 90% attendance in any period, they must complete an attendance recovery plan outlined by the campus. Failure to complete this plan will result in the student losing credit for the course, even if they are passing the class at the end of the semester. (Texas Education Code 25.092)
- Students who have less than 75% attendance in any class period must go before the campus Attendance Review Committee. The committee will have 3-4 faculty members on it, including classroom teachers. The committee will determine whether the absences are allowable. If the committee determines that the absences are not allowable, the student will lose credit for all courses in which attendance falls below 75%. The committee meets during the week before the end of the semester. (Texas Education Code 25.092)
- Parent notes and doctor notes must be turned in no later than 48 hours after an absence for the absence to be coded as “excused.” Notes turned in after this time will be filed, but the absence will remain as Unexcused.
Most Common Attendance Codes
Counts as an absence?
The student was absent from school and no documentation was turned in to explain the absence
Parent Call/ Note
The student returned to school and turned in a parent note within 48 hours of return to school.
A doctor’s note explaining the student’s diagnosed illness was turned in within 48 hours of the student’s return to school
A student either checked out early or returned to school from doctor/dentist visit.
Student Related Absence
The student attended an extracurricular event.
The student skipped class.
The student was suspended from school because of behavior.
YesOfficial Attendance Times for RMSMon., Tues., Wed., & Fri. is 9:45 AM and Thur. 11:15 AM.
Checking Out of School
If your child has an appointment during school hours, please send a note to the Attendance Office before 8:25 a.m. A check out pass will be issued allowing the student to check out at the appropriate time. If you find it necessary to check out your child due to an unscheduled appointment, please call, 281-641-4803, in advance allowing sufficient time to send for your child.
No student is permitted to leave the building without the parent, legal guardian or other person listed on the student’s information card signing out the student. Please be prepared to present a picture ID upon request.
If going to a health-care professional, the student must return with a dated and signed statement from the health care professional. If you prefer, your provider may simply stamp the check-out pass.