The district’s dress code is established to teach grooming and hygiene, prevent disruption, minimize safety hazards, and maintains a positive learning climate. Students and parents may determine a student’s personal dress and grooming standards, provided that they comply with the following during instructional time:
• District-issued student identification badges shall be worn by all middle and high school students.
- Hair must be neat, clean and well groomed. Hair style/color must not create disruptions or distraction.
- Head sweatbands, hair rollers, or long handled combs may not be worn in the hair.
- Facial hair, while allowed, must be neatly groomed and a natural color.
- No type of head covering, cap or hat is to be worn or brought to school except as otherwise permitted by district policy (i.e. religious purposes).
- Any form of dress or grooming that attracts undue attention, disrupts school, is considered gang related, or detracts from the learning process is unacceptable.
- No sleepwear is to be worn at school.
- Dresses, skirts, fashion slits, and holes higher than mid-thigh are not permitted.
- Spaghetti straps, tube tops, leotards and halter-tops are not to be worn as outer garments.
- Excessively loose or tight garments are not acceptable; all clothing should be appropriately fit.
- Shirts must be worn so as not to expose the bare chest. Male students may not wear shirts without sleeves, and tank tops or undershirts are not to be worn as outer garments. The midriff must not be exposed when a student goes through the normal activities of a school day (bending, stretching, reaching, etc.)
- Garments with inappropriate decorations or advertisements are not acceptable. The American flag is not to be worn as an article of clothing. A depiction of the American flag on clothing, in a respectful manner, is acceptable.
- Sunglasses are not allowed to be worn in the school building.
- Appropriate foundation garments must be worn at all times.
- Revealing garments are not permitted.
- Shoes are to be worn. Steel-toe shoes, house slippers, cleats and roller/wheeled shoes are not permitted.
- Any garment or accessory that could be used in a threatening or menacing manner is prohibited.
- Tattoos must be covered.
- Students may wear earrings.
- No other piercings are allowed.
- Exceptions to the Humble ISD dress code due to medical reasons must be approved by the grade level principal.
If the principal determines that a student’s grooming or clothing violates the school’s dress code, the student will be given an opportunity to correct the problem at school and return to the classroom. If the problem cannot be corrected at school, the principal will work with the student and parent to obtain an acceptable change of clothing for the student in a way that minimizes loss of instruction time, which may include in-school suspension. Repeated offenses may result in more serious disciplinary action in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct.