Humble ISD will have students use 4 D's of Problem Solving when working through a story/word problem. Please take a look at this, so you can encourage your child to use it at home. A brief overview is shown below...
The 4 D's (steps) to work through...
1. Define the given information. (What is the question asking me to solve? What information do I already have?)
2. Develop a plan.
3. Do the problem. (Determine the solution)
4. Don't forget to check!
Crucial Questions to ask yourself..these are questions we use in class when solving a word problem.
1. Am I given a total?
2. Am I combining or separating?
3. Am I combining or separating equal groups?
4. Are there peices of information I need to include?
Please make sure to use this Helper Sheet. There is one in your child's Homework folder. We use this in the classroom ALL THE TIME.