Professional Health Services- What do School Nurses do?
Detailed information on health services can be found in the Student Handbook. Please take some time to review the information regarding school and medical care in the handbook.
School Health Services Include:
1. Keep students safe, healthy, and ready to learn
2. Case Management
3. Chronic Disease Management
4. Support Students, Family, and the School Community
6. Disease Prevention
7. Environmental Health
8. Health Promotion
9. Screening, Referrals, and Follow Up
10. Disease Surveillance
11. Health Education
All enrolled students have emergency information on file in the clinic. This information must include all necessary information to locate the parent or guardian of the student. The instructions should give permission to the school to send the child to the most accessible doctor of hospital in case of severe illness of injury. In all cases, every attempt will be made to contact the parents of the child. ***This information must be updated annually and when changes occur by the parent/guardian.
Student’s health records are maintained in the campus clinic. Student health information will be available to other staff on “a need to know” basis. This will be determined by the nurse in consultation with the parent.
Student Health Screening
Texas Law requires the following Health Screenings for students in the following grades:
- Vision and Hearing: Grades Pre-K3, Pre-K4, K, 1, 3, 5, 7 as well as new students entering the district.
- Scoliosis: Girls Grade 5, Follow up screening in Middle School for Girls and Boys.
- Diabetes Risk Assessment: Grades 1, 3, 5, and 7
The following Health Screenings are recommended by Texas Department of State Health Services (TDH)
- Height, Weight and BMI: Fitness Gram, Grade 3-12
Parents, students, and staff may request a screening at any time. Students who fail the screening will receive a referral notice for further evaluation. A parent/guardian may present proof of vision, hearing, and scoliosis evaluations from private sources, in lieu of this screening.