ELEMENTARY MATH DEPARTMENT
The Humble ISD Elementary Math Model encompasses a balanced approach to developing mathematical fluency, conceptual understanding and mathematical reasoning. Math is connected to real life situations and requires students to communicate about their thinking as required by state standards. The principles of algebraic thinking are embedded within the math model framework and require students to use properties as well as place value to solve computational problems.
What student will do in the classroom and beyond:
* Use mathematical processes to acquire and demonstrate mathematical understanding through communicating mathematical ideas, problem solving, and selecting and using appropriate tools.
* Represent, compare, and order positive rational numbers and understand relationships as related
to place value through the thousandths place.
* Estimate sums, differences, products, and quotients.
* Multiply 3 digit by 2 digit numbers including products through the hundredths place and divide 4 digit dividends by 2 digit divisors with whole numbers and decimals.
* Multiply and divide whole numbersand fractions.
* Add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators.
* Develop concepts of expressions and equations.
* Identify prime and composite numbers.
* Use the order of operations.
* Classify two-dimensional figures by attributes and properties.
* Understand, recognize, and quantify volume.
* Select appropriate units, strategies, and tools to solve problems involving measurement.
* Identify locations on a coordinate plane.
* Solve problems by collecting, organizing, displaying, and interpreting data.
* Manage one’s financial resources effectively for lifetime financial
* Model geometric transformations.
* Predict the result of a probability experiment
How can I help my child?
5th Math Strategies