ELEMENTARY MATH DEPARTMENT
The Humble ISD Elementary Math Model encompasses a balanced approach to developing mathematical fluency, conceptual understanding and mathematical reasoning. Math is connected to real life situations and requires students to communicate about their thinking as required by state standards. The principles of algebraic thinking are embedded within the math model framework and require students to use properties as well as place value to solve computational problems.
What students will do in the classroom and beyond:
* demonstrate an understanding of the ten-to-one relationships among ones, tens, hundreds and
* compare and order numbers within 1,200
* compose and decompose numbers up to 1,200 in more than one way using concrete, pictorial and number models
* locate and name positions on an open number line
* identify and name fractions of a whole in everyday situations.
* use efficient strategies to solve up to 4 digit single-step and multi-step problems
* use efficient strategies to solve up to 2 digit single-step and multi-step problems.
* determine the value of a collection of coins and represent the value using symbols
* solve contextual multiplication and division situations.
* determine even and odd numbers.
* solve problems involving unknowns.
* compose and decompose 2D and 3D shapes as well as classify 2D and 3D shapes based on their attributes.
* measure length with customary and metric units as well as solve distance problems related to measurement.
* interpret data and write one-step and multi-step word problems based on the data.
* use the most efficient strategy for solving any type of mathematical situation.
How can I help my child?