ELEMENTARY MATH DEPARTMENT
The Humble ISD Elementary Math Model encompasses a balanced approach to developing mathematical fluency, conceptual understanding and mathematical reasoning. Math is connected to real life situations and requires students to communicate about their thinking as required by state standards. The principles of algebraic thinking are embedded within the math model framework and require students to use properties as well as place value to solve computational problems.
What students will do in the classroom and beyond:
*Use place value to solve problems.
*Compose and decompose numbers.
*Use efficient strategies to solve single and multistep problems.
*Solve problems involving unknowns.
*Compose and decompose 2D and 3D shapes as well as classify 2D and 3D shapes based on their attribute.
* Measure length with nonstandard units .
* Identify the measurable attribute of a given objects.
* Create, extend and identify the core in a repeating pattern.
* Interpret data using concrete objects, pictures, and graphs.
* Use the most efficient strategy for solving mathematical situation.