OFFICIAL ATTENDANCE TIME:
How to Report an Absence: When your student will be absent you need to call the attendance office at (281) 641-5803 and report the absence the same day. After that day a written note or email is required. Communication is crucial! If your student will be absent for an extended period of time you must contact the attendance office so we are aware of your student's circumstances and can notify your student's counselor. Examples would be traveling out of town/state/country or hospitalization/severe illness of the student or an immediate family member.
* If your student has a chronic illness that will result in frequent absences please provide documentation from your student's physician so we are aware of the situation. Please be assured that any information provided will remain strictly confidential.
Students Returning After an Absence: In accordance with the Humble I.S.D.Parent/Student Handbook, a student is required to send a parent/guardian note or a doctor's note to the attendance office the day your student returns to school. There is a 2 day time limit for turning in these notes. Please include on the note:
- 1. your student's legal first and last name
- 2. date of absence
- 3. reason for the absence
- 4. parent/guardian signature
Excessive Absences: Please refer to the Humble I.S.D. Parent/Student Handbook for Compulsory Student Attendance laws and criteria that would constitute possible legal consequences for "Failure to Attend School".
Perfect Attendance Requirements: A student is eligible for perfect attendance if he/she has been present for every class period, every day. Students who are absent (for any part of the school day) for any reason other than a school related activity will NOT be eligible for perfect attendance.
SIGN IN PROCEDURE:
Any student arriving after the first bell must sign in at the Attendance Office Window to receive a pass to class. Your teacher will not allow you to enter the classroom without a pass.
What a parent/guardian should do regarding a tardy:
- If your student is arriving late to school (arriving any time after the tardy bell for first period)for any reason (except that the official school bus is late), the parent/guardian must call or send a dated written and signed note from the parent/guardian explaining why he/she was late arriving to school. Only same day tardy notes will be accepted
- If the parent/guardian comes into the school, he or she must first go to the front desk and show a valid driver's license/ID.
Tardies may be excused 5 times per semester. After the allotted 5 times, it will automatically be a tardy.
Students are expected to arrive on time to school and class daily.
Students that are tardy 1st period will receive a lunch d-hall. If they were at a doctor or dental appointment for themselves, please have them bring a note from the doctor and they will be excused from the lunch d-hall.
Daily Consequences for tardies:
- 1 Tardy-Warning
- 2nd Tardy in a day - 1 Lunch D-Hall the next day
Consequences for multiple tardies in a 9 week period:
- 3rd tardy 1 lunch D-Hall the next day
- 4th tardy 1 lunch D-Hall the next day
- 5th tardy 1 lunch D-Hall the next day
- 6th tardy 2 hour Thursday class 4:05-6:05 p.m.
- 7th tardy 1 Saturday class 8:00-11:00 a.m.
- 8th tardy 1 Saturday class 8:00-11:00 a.m.
- 9th tardy Parent Conference and In School Suspension
Tardies start over at the beginning of each nine week grading period.
SIGN OUT PROCEDURE (Cut off time for sign out is 3:30 PM, unless there is an emergency):
- Any student leaving the campus for any reason must be signed out at the Attendance Office Window. This includes students leaving for lunch, sent home by the clinic or sent home by a Principal. Any student taken off campus that has not been signed could be regarded as truant and subject to disciplinary action. *If the student left campus without checking out through the attendance office, the absence cannot be cleared. It is considered an unexcused absence.
NO CHECK OUT IS PERMITTED BY TELEPHONE
2. Anyone who is here to sign a student out must present valid photo identification - such as a valid driver's license or a U.S. Passport before the child will be released to leave campus. Any alternate forms of identification are subject to Administrator approval. Administrators are occasionally off campus so please do not rely on someone always being here who can confirm your identity.
NO I.D. = NO STUDENT LEAVING WLMS WITH YOU.
3. Only persons listed on a student's emergency/other contacts section of their enrollment form will be allowed to sign that student out. If the person you are sending to pick up your student is not on their form then the parent/guardian will need to submit in their own handwriting a note stating the name of the person to pick up the student, state that they have your permission to pick up your student and the note must be signed and dated. For your student's safety we cannot accept telephone communication to authorize someone to pick your student up.
*Due to the number of students attending WLMS, please do not call and ask for your student to be pulled from class prior to your arrival unless it is a true emergency/urgent situation. Routine doctor and dental appointments do not create an urgent situation.*
EXCUSING AN ABSENCE:
It is the student's responsibility to see that his/her note is turned in to the attendance office.
Parents are required to submit parent notes or excuses for absences (other than the exceptions listed below) within 48 hours of the absence. The district is requiring secondary campuses to enforce this policy as stated in the student/parent handbook. The only exceptions to this 48-hour window are absences that schools are required to excuse per the state of Texas. If a student or parent brings in documentation to support one of these exceptions, the school will accept it after the 48 hour window.
These exceptions include:
- a doctor's visit if the student commences classes or returns to school on the same day of the appointment
- observing religious holy days
- attending a required court appearance
- time at a governmental office applying for citizenship
- taking part in a U.S. naturalization oath ceremony
- serving as an election clerk
- two days during the junior or senior year for college visits
- a temporary absence for a health care visit for a student with autism spectrum disorder
- a student involved in sounding "Taps" at a military honors funeral
Outside of these exemptions, administrator's approval is required for any exceptions other than those listed above. Otherwise, absences reported after the 48-hour window will remain "unexcused".
HOW TO REQUEST MISSING WORK FOR YOUR STUDENT:
- Please contact your student’s teacher via email listed on the school web page.