• Resources for Transition Planning

    Mosaic FAQ

    Download our full "Mosaic FAQ" document below to find lots of answers to common transition related questions and local resources in the Houston area that can help your young adult student successfully transition into adulthood.  

    Mosaic FAQ

    Transition Planning Guide

    Check out our Mosaic Transition Planning Guide that we developed to help families work through the difficult questions involved in helping their young adult student transition successfully into young adult life.

    Transition Planning Guide

    Agency Directory

    Click on the Region 4 Agency Directory web site to search for services for people with disabilities in Houston and the surrounding areas based on specific search criteria.

    Region 4 Agency Directory

    Mosaic Independence Assessment

    Download the "Mosaic Independence Assessment" to quickly evaluate your student's independence levels in our four teaching domains: employability, life long learning, recreation and leisure and adult living.  Update this assessment annually to see progress and to address specific skills with your student.  

    Mosaic Independence Assessment

    AIR Assessment

    Download the "AIR Self-Determination Assessment for Parents" if you are needing to quickly assess the self-determination skills and abilities of your young adult.  This transition assessment is one of the many used in Mosaic as a way to help guide curriculum and lessons as well as to create long term transition plans with families.

    AIR Self-Determination Assessment - Parent Form

    Texas Transition

    Great website that provides a broad overview of transition services and transition planning recommendations in Texas. 

    Texas Transition

    Texas Transition and Employment Guide

    In collaboration with several agencies, TEA has created the Texas Transition and Employment Guide 2018 for educators, students, families, support agencies and community members to assist with students with disabilities and their families plan for their transition into young adult life.  

    Texas Transition and Employment Guide

    Natural Supports

    Natural Supports is a term that describes the unpaid family, friends and social networks that all of us have in our lives.  Neighbors, acquaintances in the community, friends from social groups, clubs or religious organizations and even the people we encounter in the day-to-day routine of our lives are all considered the "natural supports" that we gain and provide benefits from in our communities.  People with disabilities need natural supports also, but often have a harder time developing these relationships without support.  Check out the booklet below which describes some simple ways that we can support our students develop natural supports as part of their transition plans.

    Guide to Natural Supports

    The ARC Resource Guide

    The ARC of Greater Houston is a nonprofit organization providing resources and services for people with disabilities in the greater Houston area.  They released a "Resource Guide" for Houston that lists different organizations and programs in the Houston area that specialize in offering services for people with disabilities. Check out the link below to download.

    ARC Resource Guide

    Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

    If you are wanting to help your young adult apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI), check out the PDF handbook from the Social Security Administration below and start the application by simply following the link.

    SSI Booklet
    SSI Report My Wages
    SSI Online Application

    The Harris Center

    The Harris Center for Mental Health and IDD is an organization that provides lots of different types of services for people with both developmental disabilities and mental health issues.  Check out the brochure below to find out what services they offer for both clients with a mental health diagnosis and IDD.  In addition, the Harris Center manages the Home and Community Services (HCS), Texas Home Living (TxHmLiving) and Community First Choice (CFC) waiver programs for people living in Harris County. Lots of free and reduced cost services exist for people with disabilities who are Medicaid eligible and living in Harris County through these Medicaid programs.  To put your young adult's name on the interest list for these services, see the documents below.

    Harris Center Services - Adult Mental Health
    Harris Center Services - Adult IDD
    Home and Community Services (HCS) Info

    Community First Choice Waiver

    Texas Workforce Solutions Vocational Rehabilitation (TWS-VR)

    The Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) is a state agency that offers free employment services to Texans at any of their locations around Texas.  TWC has a department specifically designed to serve Texans with disabilities called Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) which offers a variety of employment services including job placement, job coaching, interview and resume assistance, funding for driver's training, funding for unfiorms, funding for post-secondary education, etc.  If your student is interested in getting more information about their programs and application process, simply visit the TWC website, speak with your student's transition specialist or contact Stacey Dawson, the Humble ISD TWS-VR counselor, directly at Stacey.Dawson@twc.state.tx.us

    TWS-VR Info

    Guardianship and Alternatives to Guardianship

    Guardianship is a legal process used to provide protection for adults who are incapcitated according to the Texas Probate Code.  The Probate Code defines an incapticateed person as "an adult individual, who, because of a physical or mental condition, is substantially unable to provide food, clothing or shelter to himself or herself, to care for the individual's own physical health or to manage the individual's own financial affairs."  The process requires hiring services through an experienced attorney and going through court proceedings before a determination is made. It is important to understand the rights that are removed from the "incapcitated person" and the costs, both personal and financial, required before starting the guardianship process.

    It is generally accepted, though, that most people with disabilities do not require another adult to have full guardianship over them in order to live supported and meaningful lives.  There are a variety of less intrusive ways to support a person with a disability, called "Alternatives to Guardianship", without the need to remove all of their rights as individuals.  Typically these supports are free or less expensive than full guardianship but still provide the support needed for people with disabilities.  See the resource links below for more information about the different Alternatives to Guaridanship.

    Alternatives to Guardianship


    Preparing for Life after Special Education: Six Long Term Supports for Students with Disabilities PPT Presentation

    Post School Transition Options for Students with Disabilities

    Contact Jeremy Traughber for questions regarding agency supports in the community and to start working on a transition plan for your young adult student!

    Jeremy Traughber
    Mosaic Lead Teacher