•  Humble ISD History

    General Trivia

    1. Humble ISD started as Harris County Common School District No. 28.
    2. Humble High School celebrated it's 100th birthday during 2017-2018 (1 year before Humble ISD celebrated it's 100th birthday).
    3. Louise Panzarella was the first woman to serve on the Humble ISD School Board (she was elected in 1969).
    4. There have been 12 Superintendents in Humble's history.
    5. Charles Cunningham is the first African-American to serve on the Humble ISD School Board (he was elected in 2007).
    6. Humble ISD almost merged with the East & Mount Houston School District in the 1950s.  It was voted down by the Humble citizens.  East & Mount Houston later became North Forest ISD.  North Forest ISD was shut down by the State, and merged with Houston ISD in 2013.
    7. Only two Humble ISD schools are named for people: Jack M. Fields, Sr. Elementary School & Ross Sterling Middle School.
    8. German actress Franka Potente (Run Lola Run, Bourne Identity) spent some time as a foreign exchange student at Humble High School during her junior year (1992-1993).
    9. The West River School (1888-1909) was located where southern half of the Humble Cemetery on Isaacks Road now stands.
    10. W. W. Williams, who served on the school board for District No. 35 (1907-1909, 1912-1918), District No. 50 (1918-) and Humble ISD (1923-1929), was the grandson of Joseph W. Dunman (the man who opened the first school in the Humble area).
    11. Linda Avina, former librarian for Humble Elementary, worked for Humble ISD longer than anyone: 41 1/2 years.
    12. We really did have Principal named Jack Daniels who served as Principal of the Moonshine Hill School (the Woodward School).
    13. Actress Deborah Foreman (Real Genius, Valley Girl, My Chauffer) spent her junior year at Humble High School (1978-1979).
    14. Only two women have ever been the Principal of Humble High School: Frances R. Hyde (during its first year) and Donna Ullrich (who happens to be Principal during it's 100th year).
    15. Dr. Al Moore has served on the board longer than anyone...27 years!