Humble ISD History
1980s Major Events of the Decade
- Mount St. Helens erupts in Washington state.
- The popular video arcade game "Pac-Man" is released.
- The United States boycotts the 1980 Olympics in Moscow.
- The cable network MTV (Music Television) is launched.
- The AIDS virus is identified in the United States by scientists.
- Sandra Day O'Connor is nominated as the first female Supreme Court Justice by President Reagan.
- "The Computer" is named Time Magazine's Man of the Year.
- Japan begins selling the first CD players.
- Late Rock n' Roll star Elvis Presley's home "Graceland" is opened to the public as an attraction.
- Sally Ride becomes the first American woman in space.
- Motorola introduces the first mobile phones to the United States in 1983.
- Microsoft releases "Word" their word processing program.
- India's Prime Minister, Indira Gandhi, is assassinated.
- Band Aid records "Do They Know It's Christmas?" a charity single to raise money for famine relief in Ethiopia.
- TMTV begins the "Video Music Awards" or VMAs.
- In what many consider one of the worst marketing moves, Coca-Cola introduced "New Coke" and were forced to return to the old formula only months later due to backlash.
- The first version of Microsoft Windows is released.
- The wreck of the Titanic was discovered.
- The Chernobyl nuclear reactor explodes in the USSR.
- The Space Shuttle Challenger disaster takes place when the space shuttle disintegrates after being launched, killing all on board.
- Mad Cow Disease (BSE - Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy) is identified in Britain for the first time.
- Disposable contact lenses are first sold.
- "The Simpsons" make their debut on the Tracy Ullman Show.
- The Fox television network begins operations.
- George H.W. Bush is elected as the U.S. President after defeating Michael Dukakis.
- Two years after the Challenger Disaster, NASA's Space Shuttle program resumes.
- The Iran-Iraq war ends.
- The Berlin Wall is torn down at the end of the Cold War.
- The Exxon Valdez oil tanker spills 240,000 barrels of oil in the Prince William Sound in Alaska.
- The Nintendo Game Boy portable video game system is released.