Humble ISD History
1970s Major Events of the Decade
- The popular band "The Beatles" announces they have disbanded.
- NASA's Apollo 13 Moon Mission returns to Earth successfully after abandoning its mission to the Moon after experiencing oxygen tank problems and an explosion.
- The first jumbo-jet, the Boeing 747, makes its debut commercial flight from New York to London.
- Computer Floppy Disks introduced.
- Kent State shootings.
- The U.S. voting age is lowered from 21 to 18 years old when the 26th amendment is ratified.
- The Walt Disney World Resort is opened in Orlando, Florida.
- The first microprocessor, the 4004, is released by Intel.
- VCRs are introduced.
- The Watergate Scandal begins when White House operatives are caught burglarizing the Democratic National Committee.
- PONG, the first video game to have commercial success, is released.
- The first U.S. cable subscription service, HBO, is introduced.
- Pocket Calculators are introduced.
- Secretariat wins the Triple Crown in horse racing.
- The Mariner 10 space probe is launched by NASA and later becomes the first spacecraft to study Mercury.
- Billie Jean King beats Bobby Riggs in the "Battle of the Sexes" tennis match.
- Skylab, America's first Space Station, is launched.
- Spiro Agnew, U.S. Vice-President, resigns.
- U.S. President Richard Nixon resigns from office after being implicated in the Watergate Scandal, and Gerald Ford becomes president.
- The UPC Bar Code is introduced.
- The world's population is estimated 4 billion people.
- April 8th Hank Aaron hits home run 715 to pass Babe Ruth as the all time home run hitter in Major League Baseball.
- The Vietnam War ends.
- Bill Gates and Paul Allen create Microsoft.
- The popular late-night sketch show, Saturday Night Live, airs for the first time.
- Arthur Ashe becomes the first black man to win Wimbledon.
- Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak create the Apple Computer Company.
- NASA introduces the first space shuttle, the Enterprise.
- The Democratic candidate, Jimmy Carter, defeats Republican incumbent, Gerald Ford, to win the U.S. Presidential race.
- The Muppet Show premiers.
- Nadia Comaneci given seven perfect Tens at the Olympics.
- Control of the Panama Canal is returned to Panama from the United States.
- The Trans-Alaskan Pipeline is opened.
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) Scanner is first tested.
- Elvis Presley found dead.
- The very first "Garfield" comic strip debuts in 41 U.S. newspapers.
- Louise Brown, the very first test tube baby, is born.
- The computer video game Space Invaders is released.
- The Three Mile Island nuclear incident occurs in Pennsylvania.
- The Walkman is introduced by Sony.
- Michael Jackson's debut solo album "Off the Wall" is released.
- Iran takes American hostages in Tehran.
- Margaret Thatcher becomes first women Prime Minister of Great Britain.