2021 BOARD OF TRUSTEES ELECTION
ATPE Hosted Candidate Forum April 12, 2021
The Association of Texas Professional Educators (ATPE) a School Board Candidate Forum on Monday, April 12, 2021, in the Atascocita High School Performing Arts Center. Video recording of the event provided by TexanLive.
Election Day: May 1, 2021
Humble ISD will hold a General Election on May 1, 2021. Trustee Positions 1, 3, 4 and 5 will be on the ballot. These are for a four-year term.
The first day to file an application for a place on the ballot in a school district’s general election is the 30th day before the filing deadline. The filing deadline for a general election is 5 p.m. on the 78th day before Election Day. Tex. Educ. Code § 11.055(a), Tex. Elec. Code § 144.005. The deadline to file a declaration of write-in candidacy is 5 p.m. on the 74th day before Election Day.
- First Day to File for Place on the Ballot: January 13, 2021
- Last Day to File for Place on the Ballot: February 12, 2021 (must be received by 5:00 p.m.)
- The Administration Building will be closed on Monday, January 18, 2021 in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
An application for place on the ballot should be filed in person, by fax or by email with the Elections Administrator. Office location is the Humble ISD Administration Building, 10203 Birchridge Drive, Humble, TX 77338.
An individual is eligible to be a candidate for, or elected or appointed to, a Texas school board if the individual:
- is a United States citizen;
- is 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election or on the date of appointment, as applicable;
- has not been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote;
- has not been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities;
- has resided continuously in the state for 12 months and in the territory from which the office is elected for six months immediately preceding the following date:
- for an independent candidate, the date of the regular filing deadline for a candidate’s application for a place on the ballot;
- for a write-in candidate, the date of the election at which the candidate’s name is written in; or
- for an appointee to an office, the date the appointment is made;
- is registered to vote in the territory from which the office is elected on the date described above; and
- satisfies any other eligibility requirements prescribed by law for the office.
Tex. Elec. Code § 141.001.
The Texas Education Code imposes additional requirements:
- To be elected to a school board, an individual must be a qualified voter: 18 years of age or older, a U.S citizen, a Texas resident, a registered voter, not determined to be totally or partially mentally incapacitated by an appropriate court, and not finally convicted of a felony. Tex. Educ. Code § 11.061; Tex. Elec. Code § 11.002.
- A person is ineligible to serve on a school board if the person has been convicted of a felony or an offense under Texas Penal Code section 43.02(b) regarding prostitution. Tex. Educ. Code § 11.066.
For more information or to request/submit an application, please contact:
Karen Martin, Elections Administrator