Video Use Guidelines
Only videos on the approval lists, videos approved by campus principals (using the principal video approval form) or Region IV should be viewed on district campuses.
1) If submitting approval for a video/dvd series, each title of the video/dvd in the series must be written on a separate sheet and attached to the approval form. Failure to do this will cause the approval form to be sent back to the originator, delaying the approval process.
2) Ratings are now required to be placed on the form beside the title(s). Not all educational videos have an age appropriate rating, but for those that do, the ratings need to be marked in the appropriate location of the video approval form. Rating such as "G", "PG", "PG-13", or "R" are the common non-educational use ratings, but most educational videos/dvds will have a "warning" on their cases should the subject matter contain information that may not be appropriate for some classes.
3) All such restricted video/dvd materials, if housed in the library or classroom, should be placed in an area where children cannot have access to them.
4) If the the videos/dvds are housed in a library or classroom, they must be labeled with the appropriate warning "Restricted: Parental consent required." Place the warning on the video/dvd case where it can be clearly seen.
5) If restricted materials are used in the classroom, parental consent must be obtained. This protects the teacher, the district, and the children.
If a video/dvd has a MPAA rating of PG-13 or R, than you will need to make note of any restrictions that are being placed on it. This can be placed above the video/dvd rating on the form. The general restrictions are as follows: "film clips only", "high school use only", "must obtain parental consent", "mature thematic elements", etc. It has been the general practice of the district that materials rated as such should only be viewed as "clips" and the entire video should not be shown, UNLESS the video is being studied for thematic content. If this is the case, than "parental consent" should be obtained before viewing.
Principal Video Approval Form
This Principal Video Approval Form is to be used at the building level for all video tapes or DVD's that are not secured from Region IV OR on the district approved video listings. (This should only be used as a stop-gap measure. All videos used within the district SHOULD go through the standard approval process.)
District Approved Video Form
Step One: Search the Approved Video List to see the title has already been approved. If the video or DVD is not on the list, go to Step Two. Note: changes are made to videos/dvds that have been submitted in the past on a regular basis through addendums. If you are verifying that a video/dvd has been approved for middle school but do not see it, then you are encouraged to check the elementary approval list. Do not use high school approval for middle school or elementary school vieiwng! If the video is on the Elementary listing and you would like to have it approved for middle school, please use the Addendum form below.
Step Two: Click on the above link to download the request form .
Step Three: Complete the Video Request Form and secure librarian and principal signatures.
Step Four: Librarian makes copy of form and forwards original to appropriate department coordinator for signature.
* Avid Program: Sally Wagner (ISC)
* Curriculum and Instruction: Dr. Robin Perez (ISC)
* Career and Technical: Dr. Marley Morris (ISC)
* Educational Support Services: Dr. Sally LaRue (ISC)
* Fine Arts: Houston Hays (ISC)
* Professional Development: Dania Rovegno (ISC)
* Special Programs: Jamie Bryson (ISC)
* Student Support Services: Lesa Pritchard (ISC)
* Bilingual/Other Languages/ESL - Chandra Elizondo (ISC)
* Elementary Lanaguage Arts/ Reading - Julie Brewer (ISC)
* Secondary Language Arts/Reading/Journalism - Chestin Auzeen-Curl (ISC)
* Math, Elementary - Melissa Christensen (ISC)
* Math, Secondary - ? (ISC)
* Elementary Science/Health - Alison Pierce (ISC)
* Secondary Science/Health - Amanda McGee (ISC)
* Social Studies/Economics - Sukari Stredit-Thomas (ISC)
* Gifted and Talented - Christine Bruton (ISC)
* Physical Education - Troy Kite OR Krista Malmstrom (Admin)
* Special Needs - Debbie Hebert (ISC)
* Career and Technical - Kristy Kaizer (ISC)
Step Five: Director forwards to Professional library specialist at CLC.
Step Six: Professional library specialist adds resource to Approved Video List and notifies the originator and librarian of this update.
This form is to be used ONLY for the following reasons:
1) Obtaining approval for a different instructional level of
NOTE: If the producing studio is different than the one listed on the approved listing, the movie is different than the one listed on the approved form, (*the movie is a new version of a previous movie, it has different actors, changed content)than submit the original video approval form to have the dvd/vhs approved. If you are unsure, please contact the professional library specialist!
Do not use this form for any other purpose!