ALL KIDS CAN BE SUCCESSFUL WITH OPPORTUNITY FREEDOM AND SELF-RESPECT
The counseling department at River Pines Elementary School provides a comprehensive and multicultural school counseling program, focusing on academic, personal/social and career development within a supportive, caring and nurturing environment, so that all children achieve success in school and are prepared to lead fulfilling lives as responsible members of society.
My personal belief about our kids:
- All students can achieve with proper support, care, and guidance.
What does an elementary school counselor do?
~ Helps ALL children
~ Teaches classroom guidance lessons dealing with understanding
of self and others, communication skills, decision making skills,
conflict resolution skills, and career exploration
~Works with children individually and in small groups
~ Consults with parents and teachers
~ Conducts parent workshops
~ Assists with crisis intervention
~ Coordinates Conflict Manager Program
~ Organizes annual Career Fair
~ Assists with Kindergarten screenings
What might a student talk about while in the counseling office?
~ feelings about him/herself
~ difficulty in making or getting along with friends
~ a family problem
~ a school problem
~ a fear or worry
~ a physical concern
What might a student do in the counselor’s office?
~ talk about things that are important to children
~ use puppets to help express feelings and problems
~ talk about feelings
~ work on a plan to reach a goal
~ read stories that help students learn and understand more about themselves
~ go to a safe place to calm down when feeling upset
~ play games to learn ways to relate to others
The River Pines Elementary School Counseling program strives to:
- Advocate the equitable treatment of all students.
- Be an integral part of the total educational program.
- Be comprehensive in scope, preventative in design, and developmental in nature with a multidimensional perspective.
- Be developed, coordinated, and implemented in collaboration with students, educators, parents/guardians and community representatives. .
- Focus on the knowledge, skills, and attitudes needed for successful academic achievement, career development, and personal /social growth. .
As a school Counselor at River Pines Elementary we:
- Abide by the professional school counseling ethical code as stated in the guidelines of the American School Counseling Association.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Implement the WHY TRY guidance curriculum and goals.
GOAL: Students will acquire the academic preparation essential to chose from a variety of educational, training, and employment options upon completion of secondary school.
GOAL: Students will investigate the world of work in order to make informed career decisions.
GOAL: Students will acquire an understanding of, and respect for, self and others, and the skills to be responsible citizens.