You are invited to participate in Humble ISD's Calendar Survey. The survey is open until Jan. 20, 2017. Results of this survey will be considered, and a recommended calendar for 2017-2018 is expected to be presented to the Board of Trustees for approval on Feb. 14, 2017. Please submit your preference after reading through the following information.
Calendar Option A Calendar Option B Calendar Option C
Critieria for developing Draft Calendars:
- State law stipulates school may not begin before the 4th Monday in August. For 2017, that will be Monday, August 28, 2017.
- State law stipulates 75,600 minutes of instruction annually.
- State law stipulates teachers work 187 days.
- Thanksgiving Break is a full week because student attendance drops significantly when school is open Monday and Tuesday.
- Finals are scheduled before Winter Break because of student and parent preferences expressed in prior surveys. Additionally, this aligns with colleges. Some high school students are enrolled in courses that award college credits.
How are Option A, B, & C alike?
- First day of school: Monday, August 28, 2017
- Finals before Winter Break
- Holidays: Labor Day (Sept. 4), Thanksgiving Break (Nov. 20 - 24), Martin Luther King Jr. Day (Jan. 15), Spring Break (March 12 - 16), Good Friday (March 30), Memorial Day (May 28), Independence Day (July 4)
- Professional Growth Days/Student Holidays: August 21-25 (week before the first day of school), Nov. 10 (first district comp day), Jan. 2 (beginning of spring semester), Feb. 19 (President's Day)
How are Option A, B, & C unique?
- Days of Instruction: Option A & C = 177 days of instruction (same as 2016-2017), Option B = 174 days of instruction.
Going to 174 days of instruction for Option B requires:
- adding 10 minutes to the elementary school day with dismissal at 3:30 p.m.
- adding 10 minutes to the middle school day with dismissal at 4:10 p.m.
- adding 5 minutes to the high school day with dismissal at 2:55 p.m.
- reducing the number of shortened days by 12% at the middle and high school level (see specific dates under Early Release/Late Arrival Days in left column on calendar).
- Professional Development Days: Option B requires 13 professional development days.
Aug. 15 - 18, 21 - 25 (with 2 days for teacher to work uninterrupted in their classrooms), Nov. 10, Jan. 2, Feb. 19, June 4 - 5.
- Winter Break:
Option A: Dec. 18 - Jan. 1
Option B: Dec. 20 - Jan. 1
Option C: Dec. 20 - Jan. 1
- Last day of school:
Option A: Friday, June 8, 2018
Option B: Friday, June 1, 2018
Option C: Wednesday, June 6, 2018