Here are the notes for this unit. There are 2 col questions that have to be answered with these notes.
Layers of the Earth, Plate Tectonics, Earthquakes and Volcanoes 2 Column Notes
Set up your paper for 2 column notes (see example below). Copy each question below on to notebook paper. Include 3 or more facts, in your own words, per question when possible. Some will take more.
Layers of the Earth, Plate Tectonics, Earthquakes and Volcanoes Notes
1. How did the earth layers form?
2. Draw a circle, and label the layers as if it were the earth.
3. Characteristics of the crust: Two types (thickness, temperature, etc.)
4. Describe the relationship between the crustal plates and the mantle.
5. Compare/contrast oceanic and continental crust (including the rock types, location, density etc…)
6. Compare the lithosphere and asthenosphere. (Add these to your drawing)
7. Describe characteristics of the mantle.
8. What are convection currents and why are they important to the earth?
9. What are tectonic plates and why do they move?
10. How did the tectonic plates form?
11. Who developed the theory of Continental Drift?
12. What are subduction zones?
13. How has the Earth changed in the past 200 Million Years? (What was the land called? What was the ocean called?)
14. How / why have continents and oceans changed?
15. How is new oceanic crust formed?
16. What are the three types of tectonic plate boundaries? (describe and draw a picture of each)
17. Compare / describe earthquakes and tsunamis. (What causes each?)
18. What is a plate tectonic hot spot? (What do the cause? Where/How do they form?
19. What is the “Ring of Fire”? (Where is it located?)
20. What causes the “Ring of Fire”
21. (using the seafloor spreading lab) What are all of the causes for the changes in magnetic polarity on the ocean floor? (draw a diagram)
Copy the following information onto separate sheets of paper. Space them out so you have plenty of space to write and draw a picture.
Ocean Floor Features
Definition / Description
Facts / Char. / Examples
(For the picture, you can either draw one big picture including all of the above, or several small pictures)
22. Why are sea floor features important?